Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Haddad
*******Wow, Rink, you sure know how to cut through the B.S.* I had the exact same problem and now I'm running on two screens.* I expected one double-sized desktop and got two singles instead.* I'm sure I can adapt.*
*******If I can impose on you (or anyone who knows more than me) for some help for myself, I have another problem.* How do I change the settings for my individual monitors? X -config set my primary monitor to 1280x1024, true color, and my secondary monitor to 640x480, 256 colors. I want to have two 1024x768.
You have to start playing with the modes and the default depth in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure you have set the HorizSync and VertRefresh to the correct values for your monitor(s) X sets very low numbers for these and getting it correct for the second monitor should get a better resolution assuming the card and monitor will support what you want. If you need more help post the XF86Config-4 and details on the monitors and video cards.

My XF86Config-4 for reference:
Code:
  Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
#	Identifier	"DualHead"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#	Option	       "xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
#	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
#	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera"
	FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/xfree86-nonfree"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives"
        FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
EndSection


Section "Module"
	Load  "bitmap"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "vbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "xtrap"
	Load  "speedo"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option      "CoreKeyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel"      "pc101"
        Option      "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option      "XkbOptions"     "crtl:nocaps"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "CorePointer"
	Option	    "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option      "Emulate3Buttons"  "True"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

# Acer AcerView 54e
Section "Monitor"
	#DisplaySize	  270   200	# mm
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "API"
	ModelName    "4536"
	HorizSync       30-54
        VertRefresh     50-120
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

# Daytek DT-1531D
Section "Monitor"
#	DisplaySize	  280   210	# mm
	Identifier   "Monitor1"
	VendorName   "OEC"
	ModelName    "15db"
	HorizSync   30-69
        VertRefresh 40-120
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	Option	    "NoLogo" "on"
	Option      "NvAgp"  "1"
	Option      "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "DFP, TV"
	Option	    "NoBandWidthTest" "1"

	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440-SE]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
      	Identifier  "Card1"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI"
	BoardName   "264VT [Mach64 VT]"
	ChipSet     "ati"
	ChipId      0x5654
	ChipRev     0x40
	BusID       "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes     "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
#	ViewPort  0 0
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen1"
	Device     "Card1"
	Monitor    "Monitor1"
	DefaultDepth  8
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     8
		Modes     "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
#		ViewPort  0 0
	EndSubSection

EndSection