Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: after knoppix-installer in 3.7

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    after knoppix-installer in 3.7

    Have you noticed that you can't login as root anymore from the login screen after a hdd install? Right after knoppix-installer terminates, I usually reboot without the liveCD and edit /etc/lilo.conf and run to set up a dual boot, run netcardconfig and update-rc.d ssh defaults as root. In 3.6 you login via the KDM screen (GUI) and run kate to edit lilo.conf and then open a shell to run netcardconfig and update. Now I have to login on a console screen as root and startx to do the same thing. root isn't even listed as a user anymore on the KDM login! Why is that?

    Regards,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I just had that problem and this is how I fixed it: edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true. I could not login at the login screen anymore because the root option was not there, now it is again.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9

    what login screen

    My knoppix 3.7 just boots directly to the desktop in knoppix-user mode. If I need any root privilages then I am usually prompted for root password in order to continue. Is this situation ok or should I be seeing a login screen when my system boots?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Did you do a knoppix-style install? If you did then that is what is going to happen.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9

    Yes I did

    yes I did a knoppix style install. Is there still a way to have a login screen for root and users??

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Knoppix-style is set up to run just like from the live cd, so there will not be any login screen to log into anywhere. I'm not sure if it is possible to create more users with this type of install.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    I just had that problem and this is how I fixed it: edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true. I could not login at the login screen anymore because the root option was not there, now it is again.
    Ok, I just installed 3.7 , up from 3.6. I would like the root option back.

    But how do I edit the kdmrc file if I am in user mode and don't have write privilages to the file? And can only get them if I am in 'root'. Catch 22.

    I found the file, even edited it and saved the changed file to the home directory. But I can't save the file back to the original kdm directory.

    I'm sure this is easy for experienced Linux people but I'm new at this.

    sakiZ

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    You have to find the root terminal i the K menu. I think it is system. Once you get there and click on it it will ask for the root password and then you can edit anything you want.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Edit KDMRC

    Ok, so you edit it from the root terminal

    Thanks,

    sakiZ

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    just do kate kdmrc once you get to the correct directory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. no installer in knoppix 3.6??
    By Danielx11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 HD installer
    By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. need knoppix-installer
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 10:01 PM
  4. Knoppix Installer
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00