Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Upgrade kernel? Newb help needed

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18

    Upgrade kernel? Newb help needed

    I've recently installed knoppix on my laptop, and at the lilo boot screen it gives me the usual options - linux, then a 2.4 kernel, a 2.6 kernel and the xp install that's on there. I'd been leaving it to it's default, which I'm now thinking was a bad idea, as I couldn't get my intellimouse recognised and I had no chance of installing the radeon m11 9700 gfx card. I was playing around and booted into the 2.6(.5) kernel and it picked up my mouse straight away!! I thought that the default boot option would have been the latest kernel/version. So my question is, how can I upgrade the default one to be latest kernel, as I'm guessing it will have more support for the hardware etc?

    Could anyone give me any pointers?

    Thanks a lot

    Mors

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Look around for a lilo.conf file on the linux drive. edit it (I don't know how, I use grub) and then run lilo update

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    As firebyrd10 said, edit /ec/lilo.conf:
    find something like : default="Linux"
    change it to : default="label_of your kernel 2.6"...........(check how your kernel 3.6 is labelled)
    save it.
    run : lilo.
    reboot.


Similar Threads

  1. wg311v2 kernel header modules 2.6.17 needed
    By 3037 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 01:51 AM
  2. Kernel upgrade
    By jjbergdolt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
  3. Kernel upgrade 2.4 -> 2.6
    By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:52 PM
  4. kernel upgrade
    By ferreter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 10:23 PM
  5. MPPE needed for PPTP VPN CLIENT=>imposes kernel rebuild ?
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99