Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: After school program using Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3

    After school program using Knoppix

    Hi All,

    I'm a Linux newbie, and Knoppix might be able to really help out on a project I'm coordinating. Let me explain:

    A nonprofit I work for is starting up an after school Science program for Middle Schoolers. The program has middle schoolers working with College volunteers on different little science projects (depending on their interest areas) and then building web sites about their experiments. It's fun, low budget, and a pilot run at the program.

    Here's the challenge- the computer lab in the hosting school consists of older I-macs (OS 9) with absurd security measures in place- we can't save files to the desktops, let alone install any software. There is no server space available to us from the school system, and their version of making web pages consists of using AppleWorks and saving the documents as HTML.

    I'd like to give these kids an experience more real-world in nature. We thought running a Knoppix live CD on several of these I-macs and having the kids build their simple sites using Mozilla Composer. Because we're working with 11-year-olds we need to make it as easy as possible, so running off of a live CD would be great.

    We planned on using 8-12 Knoppix CDs for this project. (1 per group of 5) What I'm wondering is how feasible is it configure these Live CDs:

    1. To run on older I-macs currently on OS9.

    2. Is it possible to configure Knoppix with some sort of virtual drive setup so they could save files directly to the Nonprofit's dedicated server space- or use the Gmail Drive application with some dedicated gmail accounts? This would avoid having to teach 11-year-olds the intricacies of FTP or having to invest in USB drives.

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Sounds like a great way to get more people exposed to Knoppix. However, to the best of my knowledge, officially Knoppix is only for the x86 CPU. Thus knoppix will not work in Apple PC that uses a PowerPC CPU. There may be unofficial projects or other linux live CDs avaiable for PPC and Apple PCs. This google search should be a good starting point.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3
    Thanks James. it's looking like the Knoppix PPC live CD is't quite ready for primetime, but maybe I can create one that'll work well enough. we really just need Mozilla and it's composer, and Open Office.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    There was a knoppix PPC remaster going on that wasn't two far behind. I could find it from the docs, but they're down right now.

    I'm not too sure how hard it would be to remaster the cds to automaticlly connect to servers and use them.
    BTW what typer of servers are they?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3
    Well, it's actually some server space we could dedicate from the nonprofit's web site host account- so I don't know the flavor exactly- I was hoping that if I set up FTP accounts for each group there would be some brilliant linux utility that I could use to make this look like 'drag-n-drop' filespace.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by msouden
    Well, it's actually some server space we could dedicate from the nonprofit's web site host account- so I don't know the flavor exactly- I was hoping that if I set up FTP accounts for each group there would be some brilliant linux utility that I could use to make this look like 'drag-n-drop' filespace.
    Konqueror alows this, just type

    Ftp://server

    and its drag-and-drop

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on networked public school computers?
    By ryancw in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:25 AM
  2. School Use?
    By toxic in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM
  3. My laptop from school wont run Knoppix
    By VampJoe in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 05:17 AM
  4. Knoppix at School
    By |darc| in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 04:20 PM
  5. knoppix in school
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00