Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Simple DNS question...

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Simple DNS question...

    I've been away from my Knoppix disks for a while and just recently, after getting a new wireless gateway/router, set up a home network. Now I've hardened my network to the best of my abilities to include subnetting the thing down to a few addresses. I connect to the 'net via an external cable modem which is supplied with multiple DNS server addresses. Not an issue on all the M$ boxen but when I want to use Knoppix (or one of its other sundry varients) I need to set up the network for my config; I am not using DHCP but I know my scheme, I set the damned thing up after all. What I need to know is how, in the network config (GUI) tool how to specify multiple DNS servers? Is there a spacer (such as a comma, semi-colon, etc.) between addresses or merely a space between the last octet of the preceding address and the first of the following?

    Oh, and in case at this point anyone's wondering, having just the one DNS address works fine, I just want to be thorough.

    Thanks in advance,

    'Goon

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    i guess you could just put a , after every name server(dont know ive never tryed).my set up is differnt i sent the dns from knoppix as my router and only use that, my router is told were the other name servers are. theres 4 in there 2 from my isp and 2 from around the world somewere. you could also use netconfig if its on knoppix its a kinda gui console based config program. it allows primary and secondary dns servers.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Manually configured tho...

    I've turned off all automatic settings for my router; I manually configure my network. I've used netconfig and when it asks for the DNS address it's only one line a single time. It's no big deal as of yet but I do want to eventually get all 3 servers in the config.

    WAN port on the router gets it addressing from DHCP from my ISP. My LAN config is completely manual, i.e. static addressing all around.

    Again, thanks in advance,

    'Goon

Similar Threads

  1. Simple Question on KDE on Knoppix
    By nicdev05 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 07:59 PM
  2. just a simple question :P ( well kind of..)
    By dr_s99 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:54 AM
  3. Simple Question...
    By SnipingWolF in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. simple Noob Question
    By zombi3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:05 AM
  5. very simple apt-get question.
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99