I like Kanotix. Pretty much the same as knoppix but alittle better hardware detection. It is a derivative of knoppix. Mandrake Move Live got me to also install Mandrake 10.1 community to my hard drive and I like that alot also.
Whats the best Linux Distro for Hard Drive install/?
I know that knoppix is designed to run off cd so probably it wont be perfect when there is a hd install?
So dose anyone know of the best distro to use for Hd install?
I like Kanotix. Pretty much the same as knoppix but alittle better hardware detection. It is a derivative of knoppix. Mandrake Move Live got me to also install Mandrake 10.1 community to my hard drive and I like that alot also.
any others?
Reh Hat I never could get configured correct so I got rid of it. Fedora Core is an upgrade of that and that seemed to work better for me. I installed these all to check them out and then got rid of them to stay with Kanotix. I also tried a hd install of suse. You can check out that from a live cd also, but need to download 1 iso if you want to install. Right now I boot Kanotix, Mandrake, XP and have room for one more distro. For now they work out for me.
so mandrake is the best?
for hard drive install?
Kanotex is that for hd install or just live cd?
Kanotix is a live cd that can be installed to hd while running it. Just like knoppix. Mandrake is pretty cool once you get it configured. 10.1 community worked best for me. 10.0 and 10.1 I couldn't get things to work, they didn't see my printer. I don't like trouble like that so I go with what these distros see on my computer. Could be different for you. Try Mandrake move first to test it out. You can get that here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=36
Well all the non live-cd Distros are good for install.
Me, I like debian, easy and has good hardware support "out-of-the-box"
One thing to consider: do you have any hardware for which Linux drivers exist, but they only work on certain distributions?
For example, I have a snazzy Samsung laser fax machine that also works as a laser printer and scanner. Samsung actually included Linux drivers with it (that install a custom version of CUPS), but the drivers only work on Fedora and SuSE.
Kanotix gets my vote for easiest version of Debian Linux to install. Installing software using apt-get and doing a dist-upgrade are simple. Mandrake's OK, but it's rpm-based, and they're always trying to get you to buy something.

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640
$54.99
Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
$44.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$84.00
Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard
$169.99