Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Absolute newbie here...can't write to XP NTFS volume

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Absolute newbie here...can't write to XP NTFS volume

    Hi there, and thanks for bearing with my novice questions (I'm a newbie of about 10 minutes now).

    I made a mistake and renamed a seemingly critical file in my XP windows/system32 directory ("msgina.dll". I thought Windows would get it out of the i386 directory...nope! It just says I have to talk to my system administrator. Funny, I'm the system administrator as this is my personal PC).

    I got knoppix 3.7 to boot successfully (pretty!), and I'm just trying to rename the msginaOLD.dll back to the original msgina.dll. I can't get the volume to be writeable, despite having tried via the Actions menu when I right-click on hda1. I keep getting the message:

    "The remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently."

    Ideas? Thanks!

    -Tofer

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Okay...I've found the "Captive NTFS" utility, but it can't seem to find "ntoskrnl.exe." At least it says it can't find it before it scans for it and then just closes the window after the scan.

    thanks...

    -Tofer

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    That one is located in system32. You are looking for ntoskrnl and not ntoskrnl.exe.

Similar Threads

  1. CLI navigation problems on NTFS volume
    By RandomGoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
  2. deleting file on ntfs volume
    By Gary in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 03:54 AM
  4. Absolute newbie needs help
    By Jazz1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 11:25 PM
  5. Deleting files on NTFS volume
    By frishert in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00