-
Poor Man Installation won't boot on very old Notebook?
Hello friends,
I've got a very old notebook (P1, 100MHz, 32 MB RAM, 640x480 pixels, no CD-ROM and ethernet works only with Win9
and want to get Knoppix on it.
I read of a poor man installation (of Knoppix3.2) whereas I need just to make a bootdisk with makefloppy and copying the KNOPPIX-file into c:\KNOPPIX\ (on Fat32 of my Win9
.
I did it and boot from the floppy. "vmlinuz" is loaded, and also "miniroot.gz" but then "Ready" is printed and nothing happens.
He doesn't even try to read from the harddisc, there is no such sound.
I tried a lot of bootparameter, e.g. "knoppix vga=normal screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60 noapic noagp noapm nodma nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi nousb" but it doesn't help.
Does anyone know what my problem could be and what to do here?
(I read that with Knoppix 3.4 or higher I can copy the iso-file to the harddisk and there is a new bootparameter called "bootfrom". Perhaps I should try this?)
thanks
spunti
-
Now I tried with Knopix37.iso and the two bootdisks (for Knoppix3.6 which should work, too).
I started with "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/Knoppix.iso" but I get the error-message: "can'd find Knoppix filesystem".
"DMA ist set on for hda1" is printed before the error occurs, so he must have found my harddisk.
I even tried with startparameter "nodma", doesn't help.
By the way I don't know whether using capital letters in "/Knoppix/Knoppix.iso" or not (because I copied it with Win9
.
spunti
-
Senior Member
registered user
try the line below. when you see the boot: line
Code:
knoppix26 nodma noscsi atapicd nosmp noagp nousb noacpi
that is what i use on my p1 laptop (and sbmgr to boot the cd )
-
I cannot boot knoppix26 because there are no boot-floppydisks for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.
I tried the other parameters (except atapicd because I've no CD-ROM, only the image on my Fat32-harddisc) and I can boot but the Knoppix-Image cannot be found
spunti
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
spunti
I cannot boot knoppix26 because there are no boot-floppydisks for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.
I tried the other parameters (except atapicd because I've no CD-ROM, only the image on my Fat32-harddisc) and I can boot but the Knoppix-Image cannot be found
spunti
You don't need floppy disks. You can use the boot CD. Look in the documentation tab (currently down for maintenance, or I'd give y0ou the specific link), there should be a link for the poor man's install for versions 3.4 and later. In it are two variations. The basic PMI boots from the CD. The WinPartition boots from the NTFS partition.
jd
-
Senior Member
registered user
j.drake: he has a OLD computer, he might try sbmgr (smart boot mamager) it can be used from a floppy and should boot the CD.
Similar Threads
-
By Vronsky in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2006, 02:42 PM
-
By raghukp in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
-
By max-ebb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 10:20 PM
-
By timber in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 04:05 PM
-
By MChrist in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 400/800 Programming Language Pilot W/ Turtle Graphics COMPLETE
$49.95

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75