Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Poor Man Installation won't boot on very old Notebook?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Poor Man Installation won't boot on very old Notebook?

    Hello friends,
    I've got a very old notebook (P1, 100MHz, 32 MB RAM, 640x480 pixels, no CD-ROM and ethernet works only with Win9 and want to get Knoppix on it.

    I read of a poor man installation (of Knoppix3.2) whereas I need just to make a bootdisk with makefloppy and copying the KNOPPIX-file into c:\KNOPPIX\ (on Fat32 of my Win9.
    I did it and boot from the floppy. "vmlinuz" is loaded, and also "miniroot.gz" but then "Ready" is printed and nothing happens.
    He doesn't even try to read from the harddisc, there is no such sound.

    I tried a lot of bootparameter, e.g. "knoppix vga=normal screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60 noapic noagp noapm nodma nofirewire nopcmcia noscsi nousb" but it doesn't help.

    Does anyone know what my problem could be and what to do here?
    (I read that with Knoppix 3.4 or higher I can copy the iso-file to the harddisk and there is a new bootparameter called "bootfrom". Perhaps I should try this?)


    thanks
    spunti

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    Now I tried with Knopix37.iso and the two bootdisks (for Knoppix3.6 which should work, too).
    I started with "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/Knoppix.iso" but I get the error-message: "can'd find Knoppix filesystem".
    "DMA ist set on for hda1" is printed before the error occurs, so he must have found my harddisk.
    I even tried with startparameter "nodma", doesn't help.

    By the way I don't know whether using capital letters in "/Knoppix/Knoppix.iso" or not (because I copied it with Win9.

    spunti

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try the line below. when you see the boot: line
    Code:
    knoppix26 nodma noscsi atapicd nosmp noagp nousb noacpi
    that is what i use on my p1 laptop (and sbmgr to boot the cd )

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    I cannot boot knoppix26 because there are no boot-floppydisks for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.
    I tried the other parameters (except atapicd because I've no CD-ROM, only the image on my Fat32-harddisc) and I can boot but the Knoppix-Image cannot be found

    spunti

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by spunti
    I cannot boot knoppix26 because there are no boot-floppydisks for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.
    I tried the other parameters (except atapicd because I've no CD-ROM, only the image on my Fat32-harddisc) and I can boot but the Knoppix-Image cannot be found

    spunti
    You don't need floppy disks. You can use the boot CD. Look in the documentation tab (currently down for maintenance, or I'd give y0ou the specific link), there should be a link for the poor man's install for versions 3.4 and later. In it are two variations. The basic PMI boots from the CD. The WinPartition boots from the NTFS partition.

    jd

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    j.drake: he has a OLD computer, he might try sbmgr (smart boot mamager) it can be used from a floppy and should boot the CD.

Similar Threads

  1. Notebook shuts down during boot
    By Vronsky in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 02:42 PM
  2. unable to reboot (installation method poor mans install )
    By raghukp in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
  3. poor man's installation with Knoppix 3.2
    By max-ebb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 10:20 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. Notebook hangs during boot
    By MChrist in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99