Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Problems with recompiled kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4

    Problems with recompiled kernel

    Merry Christmas

    I'm relatively new to Linux (had Knoppix 3.6 installed for about a month). I decided to have a go at recompiling the 2.6.7 kernel, to try and make ACPI work better, to add APM support, and to make ALSA work.

    So I have tried recently to do this. It has sort of woked. That is, it doesn't give any compile errors. But sometimes there are problems with booting the kernel. When I select it from LILO, it gives an error: 'EBDA is big, kernel stack overlaps lilo second stage'. I found this is aparently because I didn't run lilo in bash before I booted my new kernel. So I ran it, but it gave my an error, that it couldn't find the initrd for 2.6 kernel. Upon further investigation, I found this is because when I install the new kernel, it deletes the initrd for the kernel it is replacing.

    If it does boot, then I still get an error in the Power Management module of the control center, complaing my kernel has a partial ACPI installation. 'APM --suspend' still complains about no APM support in kernel. And most importantly, ALSA doesn't seem to work. When I boot from it, it says something about /dev/dsp not existing, and that the sound server will continue with the null output device. Running 'alsaconf' in bash doesn't work, as it says the command is not found.

    I have a Toshiba Tecra S1. I have heard ACPI has some trouble with this model.

    Regards.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    acpi and apm is an either/or situation.You'll have problems
    if you try to run both.
    Did you recompile your kernel the "debian way"?
    You can test a new kernel without installing it.
    I'd suggest some more research.
    At google
    "recompile kernel"
    "compile kernel" + knoppix
    "compile kernel" + "debian way"

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.01 cd kernel problems
    By rivendels in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
  2. Kernel recompiled
    By Frunktz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 09:23 PM
  3. problems setting up new kernel version
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 04:44 AM
  4. Can't boot with kernel 2.6.5 / possible SATA problems
    By fourthirtysix in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:14 AM
  5. Networking Problems with Kernel 2.4.21
    By CaptainE in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99