Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Regenerate the apt configuration files

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83

    Regenerate the apt configuration files

    I had nice fine tuned HD installation. I was trying to create a new Knoppix configuration to remaster and cleaning up my HD installation at the same time --> DO NOT TRY! I typed apt-get remove <package> in the wrong terminal window and the dpkg/apt configuration files became useless, so did my installation.

    I already tried to regenerate them using different methods and none worked. Anyone has a surefire recovery method for these files short of backing up all the configuration files, home directories, etc and reinstall Knoppix?

    -- GN

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    before you do a total reinstall, try removing/repacing apt; it's just another package like everything else. My first thought would be 'dpkg-reconfigure apt'. If that didn't work, 'apt-get -t unstable install apt'. If that no go, download the apt package manually then remove (purge) & reinstall it wirth dpkg.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    before you do a total reinstall, try removing/repacing apt; it's just another package like everything else. My first thought would be 'dpkg-reconfigure apt'. If that didn't work, 'apt-get -t unstable install apt'. If that no go, download the apt package manually then remove (purge) & reinstall it wirth dpkg.
    These are the only ideas I didn't try. I'm not sure if I would've succeded. Probably if I used the 'force' options. Apparently dpkg requires some of the files to pre-exist with some minimum content. at some point the files got deleted and completely out of sync with the installation. dpkg kept saying something like 'debonf missing or not installed' (something along those lines) and aborted.

    I finally had to reinstall and I'm being a lot more carefull now while updating the packages I need. I looked around the web and found absolutely no detailed documentation or clues on dpkg's configuration files. There was an old script at some forum which I tried and didn't work. The only thing left was to look into the source code.

    Since Knoppix has been such a success with all my family (they'd rather use Knoppix than Windows), I have another PC that I don't mind crashing and reinstalling as many times as necessary. It might take some time, but I'll test your ideas. If they work it might be worth documenting. The biggest criticism I found for Debian on the web are these configuration files.

    Thanks

    --GN

Similar Threads

  1. Saving configuration to HD / Writing files to HD
    By wualla in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 03:59 PM
  2. Configuration files on USB key
    By dafne in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 06:00 PM
  3. Location of configuration files
    By prawira in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 09:40 AM
  4. Loading configuration files from the floppy
    By mechanical_messiah in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
  5. How to edit configuration files
    By Lars Jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



48GB(6 x 8GB) Mixed Brand PC4-2666V DDR4 Desktop UDIMM RAM - R1051A picture

48GB(6 x 8GB) Mixed Brand PC4-2666V DDR4 Desktop UDIMM RAM - R1051A

$129.95



SK Hynix HMA82GU7CJR8N-VK (JJR8N) 32GB(2x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 Server Memory picture

SK Hynix HMA82GU7CJR8N-VK (JJR8N) 32GB(2x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 Server Memory

$149.70



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



SK Hynix HMA82GU6DJR8N-VK 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 Desktop Memory RAM  picture

SK Hynix HMA82GU6DJR8N-VK 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 Desktop Memory RAM

$63.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz

$175.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99