Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to boot from external USB harddrive without BIOS support

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    How to boot from external USB harddrive without BIOS support

    I need to boot Knoppix installed to external USB harddisk (I'm trying to rescue an old, damaged machine). There is *not* BIOS support for USB boot on latest available BIOS revision. Can I use a boot floppy or cheat codes to point it at /mnt/sda1 somehow ?

    Thanks !
    rcs

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    rcs;
    I have used the cheat codes to boot on an sda1 drive which has a knoppix file installed even one with a different kernel.

    I know of no way to boot to a drive which has no kernel of Knoppix installed.
    I do believe from your description thst your drive has knoppix installed. If you use the same kernel as the kernel in the drive, say 2.6.5 versus 2.6.5 it will boot fully AFAIK. If it has 2.6.7 or 2.6.3 it will boot from 2.6.5 but some functions will be missing and errors will be encountered.

    I have booted from a Knoopix 2.6.5 kernel into a DVD Knoppix kernel with 2.6.3 with some functions missing.

    All of these I mention were to SDA1 usb drives It might be imperative to use the same kernel series such as 2.4 or 2.6 .

    Best of luck with your sda1 drive. You can't hurt it I'm sure>>>

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    19

    Thanks -- which cheat code ?

    I successfully installed Knoppix 3.7 to the external USB drive. The system has no working hard drives, and I'm using it like this until I fix the power in my house that blew it up. I'll use whatever kernel works.

    What cheat codes did you use to boot from the USB ? I was hoping I could leave a boot floppy in it and not touch the CD since the whole release is on the disk. Failing this, I imagine there is no problem booting from CD and telling it to get its image off of the external USB disk and make persistent settings or a home there, which would hopefully free up the CD.

    Thanks,
    rcs

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    I asume you have an external usb drive involved and that you have a CD boot option in your computer.

    The cheat code to use can be one of two:

    If the drive having the Knoppix file is the only drive having a Knoppix file you can simply:

    Knoppix26(assuming it is the 2.6 kernel) fromhd


    or you may:

    Knoppix26 fromhd=/dev/sda1 (Assuming the ID for the drive is sda1)


    If your system uses the 2.4 kernel, try:

    Linux fromhd


    or:

    Linux fromhd=/dev/sda1

    Best of luck and merry christmas!

Similar Threads

  1. Booting a USB drive when the BIOS doesn't support it
    By jacksonon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 11:24 PM
  2. how to boot knop. from usb-hd with unsupported bios-usb-boot
    By hollex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
  3. cannot getknoppix to recogniz usb external harddrive (160G)
    By shorty_lb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 04:14 AM
  4. BIOS Doesnt Support Boot From CD
    By Duddled in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 02:29 PM
  5. USB Harddrive Support?
    By tommydl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00