-
Newbie needs help w/ printer
Hi eveyone! I just installed Knoppix on my old AMD K6III to use as a starting point for leaving Windows. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone here can help me with.
1) I'm trying to setup a printer that's connected to my Windows box via USB but I can't seem to get it to access the printer. Any suggestions?
2) What's the easiest way to update Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
1. You will have to connect to your windows box using samba (easiest way is to use linneighborhood) to share your windows printer.
2. You cannot 'upgrade' knoppix as in make Knoppix 3.4 into Knoppix 3.6. But once installed to HD you can upgrade any or all of the applications to the latest available versions using the normal Debian apt-get package management system. Just don't do 'apt-get upgrade', it appempts to upgrade everything all at once plus resets some of your system defaults & generally screws things up. Just upgrade individual packages by installing the latest versions: 'apt-egt -t unstable install <packgename>'
-
Ok. When I try to access my other PC via Samba, I get an "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" message. Where do I go now?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Check
1) that the printer is shared and
2) that the firewall/securityin windows is set to permit access XP SP2 installs a firewall even if you haven't installed a 3rd party firewall.
Similar Threads
-
By regtech in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-20-2006, 07:01 AM
-
By rec9140 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 05:24 PM
-
By vinit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 12:32 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By batteryman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage
$200.00

Vintage Compaq Presario 1800-XL1 Laptop Computer 1456VQL1N w Win Key
$34.99

Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989 Untested
$207.92

Vintage GA-5AX ALi Aladin & SN2000P LAN Card Manuals & Driver Floppies Lot
$30.00

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$94.76

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99