Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18

    buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd

    When I am booting from Knoppix V3.6 CD, I get errors while creating directories and symlinks on ram disk.
    Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 356288
    ...
    ...
    cloop: read error at pos 7252.... in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX 11908 bytes lost.
    ...
    And these errors continue though finally I see the windows coming up.
    Thanks in advance for any help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Either data in your cd is corrupt or your cd drive doesn't read properly.
    Try boot with cheatcode : nodma noscsi

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18
    No those cheatcodes didn't help
    a) I changed my CD readers So CD reader is not the problem
    b) I tried many medias So CD media is the
    As you say,
    It can be one of these problems
    a) There may be errors while I downloaded
    b) The CD writer (DELL inspirion 5100) doesn't make it correct
    c) The bios has problems (EMonster 500 pc)
    I will investigate for some more time. I want to know whether
    anybody else had similar problems

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Don't forget to test your memory too.
    knoppix memtest
    knoppix testcd

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Norway,Spain
    Posts
    1

    RE: buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd

    Hi,
    I get get a similar buffer I/o error.It says:
    retrying with server Xfree86 (vesa) cloop. read error at pos 202760192 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX 15689 bytes lost

    Error: No suitable X-server found for your card.

    Thus ,wherein a dos like screen occurs with a flashing prompt.I can run some linux commands and navigate in file systems using unix style commands.However,the KDE desktop will not load.I will be most grateful of any reply on this matter.Running commands
    eg ls to list current directory or cd move screen prompt around are OK, of course but running the whole lot of programs under KDE is far more desireable!

    Regards
    audun falnes

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18
    I forgot to tell how I solved the problem.
    I had a corrupted knoppix download. I should have done md5 check.
    Any way it works fine after the proper download.
    Thanks for the help

Similar Threads

  1. "Buffer I/O Error on device cloop0" ...
    By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
  2. Error when running apt-get update
    By sunpascal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 12:57 PM
  3. Error when running apt-get
    By sunpascal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 06:01 PM
  4. error running X and KDE
    By hss in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 06:53 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Power Supply picture

Cisco Power Supply

$3650.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89