What about file changes the program needs to make?
Where would those be stored?
Imagine a .deb that you can run directly without installing it: that's .cmg - the new package format used in "next generation" klik.
The advantages are numerous:
* No more software installations
* One single .cmg file per application
* Total transparency about what is installed where (one .cmg file per app)
* You can store .cmg files where you want (HD, USB stick, CD-ROM, DVD) and run them from there
* Efficient use of storage space due to .cmg compression (saves 50%)
* No possibility to destroy anything (all is contained in a read-only .cmg file)
* Easy to give an application to a friend (just mail one .cmg file)
* Easy to keep your additional applications if you upgrade or change the base Operating System or move to another machine
* Makes it possible to run additional applications on Live CDs such as Knoppix or Kanotix
* If something doesn't work, simply remove one .cmg file and everything is reverted
* No need to be root in order to run new software
Try it now and please post back your ideas for improvement.
http://klik.atekon.de/docs/index.php...ation%20Images
Greetings,
probono
What about file changes the program needs to make?
Where would those be stored?
imho a program shouldn't change itself (but only the data it works on). The LSB also requires that /usr can be r/o.Originally Posted by firebyrd10
Just as with Knoppix itself: /usr is r/o, the rest is used from its r/w places (e. g. /var, /tmp,...).Originally Posted by firebyrd10
Greetings,
probono
I have a working cmg of OpenOffice.org 2.0 pre. Imagine just downloading a 100MB file, clicking on it, and it runs(see other post)
Greetings,
probono
cmg is now default, please post what you think.
Greetings,
probono
what I think??? damn, man, I haven't been here (knoppix.net) for some time, and while I was gone you created something... wow... really impressive. I just can't imagine you did this... Yow, you got some help, sure, but still - its amazing. really. uber-cool. I hope you can find time to continue working on this... I have quite some troubles with my installation, but as soon as these have been worked out, I'll be trying klikOriginally Posted by probono
good job, man!
/superstoned is impressed

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98