Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 3.7 start up problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    3.7 start up problem

    Currently using knoppix 3.4. successfully with the 2.4 kernel. I use myconfig=/dev/hdxx and home=/dev/hdxx

    When booting the 3.7 release the X server attempts to start but only as far as a blank screen. However by using the cheat code knoppix 2 - I can get to the prompt. From this point, using startx, knoppix will load up fully using the light weight fluxbox browser. Unfortunately I think at this stage I am logged in as root. I would like to be running as the user "knoppix" not root. But I am not sure how to get their. The "knoppix 2" cheat code boots to a root prompt. I would like to get out of this to user "knoppix"
    Alternatively, can you think of another way to get 3.7 to boot fully without intervention. ? The 3.4 disk is working ok.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Sounds like 3.7 is not finding the proper configuration for your graphics card. Find out what the proper xmodule is from you 3.4 disk...when starting up it will say something like "Video is xxxxx...using xxxx driver". Then ftry your 3.7 with the cheatcode 'xmodule=xxx' (whatever the driver module was in 3.4).

    There doesn't seem to be any way to get from being root to being user knoppix when you boot knoppix2; usually 'exit' will logout you out then you can log back in as user but there must be an automatic 'log back in as root' script active somewhere.

    Try 'kdm' instead of startx.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Update

    When I first commenced using 3.4 I had to do a hack to get the xserver working. This is causing a problem to knoppix 3.7. The upshot is that if I start 3.7 with simply linux26 and leave out any reference to persistent home and myconfig, all goes well. Knoppix boots to a nice shiny 3.7 desktop. I will reconfigure 3.7 to my liking and then safe the setup to myconfig. It means a bit more work not being able to use my old settings, - but the new knoppix is impressive, and I would like to make use of it. This seems to be the way ahead for me.


    Brian

Similar Threads

  1. Problem to start KDE after upgrade from KDE 3.5.2 -> 3.5.
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
  2. Serious problem. Can't start X. Please help.
    By junglemike in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2006, 04:25 AM
  3. A Problem occurs during start up
    By buddhainside in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
  4. start-up problem
    By sirmax in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 04:10 AM
  5. Video problem at the start-up
    By gabcicala in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SanDisk Optimus GX 7100 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD Heatsink picture

SanDisk Optimus GX 7100 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD Heatsink

$150.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99