-
3.7 start up problem
Currently using knoppix 3.4. successfully with the 2.4 kernel. I use myconfig=/dev/hdxx and home=/dev/hdxx
When booting the 3.7 release the X server attempts to start but only as far as a blank screen. However by using the cheat code knoppix 2 - I can get to the prompt. From this point, using startx, knoppix will load up fully using the light weight fluxbox browser. Unfortunately I think at this stage I am logged in as root. I would like to be running as the user "knoppix" not root. But I am not sure how to get their. The "knoppix 2" cheat code boots to a root prompt. I would like to get out of this to user "knoppix"
Alternatively, can you think of another way to get 3.7 to boot fully without intervention. ? The 3.4 disk is working ok.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sounds like 3.7 is not finding the proper configuration for your graphics card. Find out what the proper xmodule is from you 3.4 disk...when starting up it will say something like "Video is xxxxx...using xxxx driver". Then ftry your 3.7 with the cheatcode 'xmodule=xxx' (whatever the driver module was in 3.4).
There doesn't seem to be any way to get from being root to being user knoppix when you boot knoppix2; usually 'exit' will logout you out then you can log back in as user but there must be an automatic 'log back in as root' script active somewhere.
Try 'kdm' instead of startx.
-
Update
When I first commenced using 3.4 I had to do a hack to get the xserver working. This is causing a problem to knoppix 3.7. The upshot is that if I start 3.7 with simply linux26 and leave out any reference to persistent home and myconfig, all goes well. Knoppix boots to a nice shiny 3.7 desktop. I will reconfigure 3.7 to my liking and then safe the setup to myconfig. It means a bit more work not being able to use my old settings, - but the new knoppix is impressive, and I would like to make use of it. This seems to be the way ahead for me.
Brian
Similar Threads
-
By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
-
By junglemike in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-05-2006, 04:25 AM
-
By buddhainside in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
-
By sirmax in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 04:10 AM
-
By gabcicala in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 32GB No GPU/ HDD/ OS DISCOUNTED
$363.94

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00