That's commonly stated, and there's many posts in this forum on this partcular subject. Click on the link that says search at the top of the page, and search your problems away.
Boy this is a weird problem.
I can dial out in root mode clicking on the modem dialer.
But in user mode, when I try click on the Modem dialer in in the menu nothing happens.
If I try to create a link from that, I get a message saying KPP Not Found.
But, if I get into the File Manager Super User Mode, still in user mode, I can navigate to this folder and click on it and run the modem dialer:
/root/.kde/share/apps/kicker/kppdesktop
'Kppdesktop' is the modem dialer and has the modem dialer icon.
How do I get the normal modem dialer back in user mode?
sakiZ
That's commonly stated, and there's many posts in this forum on this partcular subject. Click on the link that says search at the top of the page, and search your problems away.
Well, thanks for the tip. I'll search around. The problem seemed pretty bizarre.
Glad to know I'm not alone, I guess.....
I did "solve" the problem short term. I just set up my root mode the same way as I have my user mode set up. New mail account and all.
I must say, the amount of permission denied messages in user mode is quite annoying.
Access denied. Need password. etc etc. I realize Linux likes to be more secure, but this is a little much.
I'm the only user and I'm only on line briefly. Ah well. Better then Windoze, eh?
sakiZ
You don't acually have to be logged in to a desktop as root, you can simply use this command as a normal user:Originally Posted by sakiZ
This will ask for your root password, then run kppp as root, assuming you gave the correct password.Code:gksu kppp
Thanks,
Saki
OK, this could be a real plus if we could do something like write a short little script (batch file)
that automates this procedure.
Slap an dialer icon on it and put it on your desktop???
That would give users the best of both worlds, user convenience and an ultra secure desktop!
Is that too Windows like?
Hmm?
sakiZ
It depends: If you are talking about automating the password, then yes, otherwise it sounds like a good idea.Originally Posted by sakiZ
Just to get you started, type the following lines in a terminal to get a script such as you described to appear on your desktop:Code:echo '#''!'/bin/bash > kppp echo 'gksu kppp' >> kppp chmod a+x kppp mv kppp ~/Desktop/
echo '#''!'/bin/bash > kppp
echo 'gksu kppp' >> kppp
chmod a+x kppp
mv kppp ~/Desktop/
After I created the script you sent me above, I then changed the icon for it to the KPPP icon and renamed it to
"Dial Jade" which is my ISP.
Very user friendly!!!![]()
Thanks so much.
Have a happy New Year!!!!!
sakiZ

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00
LOT OF 2 SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA ECC HMA81GR7CJR8N-XN
$89.95
Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM
$74.50
LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM
$1799.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$600.00
Lot of 2~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB3 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$400.00
LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98