Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Lost Modem Dialer in User Mode

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Lost Modem Dialer in User Mode

    Boy this is a weird problem.

    I can dial out in root mode clicking on the modem dialer.

    But in user mode, when I try click on the Modem dialer in in the menu nothing happens.

    If I try to create a link from that, I get a message saying KPP Not Found.

    But, if I get into the File Manager Super User Mode, still in user mode, I can navigate to this folder and click on it and run the modem dialer:

    /root/.kde/share/apps/kicker/kppdesktop

    'Kppdesktop' is the modem dialer and has the modem dialer icon.

    How do I get the normal modem dialer back in user mode?

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    That's commonly stated, and there's many posts in this forum on this partcular subject. Click on the link that says search at the top of the page, and search your problems away.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    A Common Problem?

    Well, thanks for the tip. I'll search around. The problem seemed pretty bizarre.

    Glad to know I'm not alone, I guess.....

    I did "solve" the problem short term. I just set up my root mode the same way as I have my user mode set up. New mail account and all.

    I must say, the amount of permission denied messages in user mode is quite annoying.
    Access denied. Need password. etc etc. I realize Linux likes to be more secure, but this is a little much.

    I'm the only user and I'm only on line briefly. Ah well. Better then Windoze, eh?

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120

    Re: A Common Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    I did "solve" the problem short term. I just set up my root mode the same way as I have my user mode set up. New mail account and all.
    sakiZ
    You don't acually have to be logged in to a desktop as root, you can simply use this command as a normal user:
    Code:
    gksu kppp
    This will ask for your root password, then run kppp as root, assuming you gave the correct password.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Ahha!

    Thanks,

    Saki

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    It's Me Again

    OK, this could be a real plus if we could do something like write a short little script (batch file)

    that automates this procedure.

    Slap an dialer icon on it and put it on your desktop???

    That would give users the best of both worlds, user convenience and an ultra secure desktop!

    Is that too Windows like?

    Hmm?

    sakiZ

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120

    Re: It's Me Again

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    Is that too Windows like?
    It depends: If you are talking about automating the password, then yes, otherwise it sounds like a good idea.

    Just to get you started, type the following lines in a terminal to get a script such as you described to appear on your desktop:
    Code:
    echo '#''!'/bin/bash > kppp
    echo 'gksu kppp' >> kppp
    chmod a+x kppp
    mv kppp ~/Desktop/

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Thanks for the user Dial Up script

    echo '#''!'/bin/bash > kppp
    echo 'gksu kppp' >> kppp
    chmod a+x kppp
    mv kppp ~/Desktop/

    After I created the script you sent me above, I then changed the icon for it to the KPPP icon and renamed it to

    "Dial Jade" which is my ISP.

    Very user friendly!!!

    Thanks so much.

    Have a happy New Year!!!!!

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. booting in single user mode
    By jaskah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 03:07 AM
  2. File Manager - Super user mode
    By Simonkex in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 05:23 PM
  3. no modem = no internet = lost user
    By h00man in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 11:16 AM
  4. patch for enabling k3b for user mode ?
    By cul971 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
  5. Lost all modules from Kcontrol/Kinfo center for Root User
    By ichoeff in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



AddOn IBM 42C1800 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network Interface Card picture

AddOn IBM 42C1800 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network Interface Card

$383.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99