a task like that would take a total rework of knoppix, from what i know. All the hardware detection would need to be rewritten and all... it would be almost as much work as it was to first make knoppix.....
I think there should be a knoppix version for the PPC architecture. What a great trick to be able to run this awesome bootable OS on the PPC as well as the Intel architecture.
How realistic is this?
Does anybody see a reason why this couldn't be done?
Yellow Dog Linux http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/, is a great way to revive older Mac hardware. And Knoppix is a great way for Windows users to experience Linux without having to worry about installing the software first. Wouldn't it be great to offer this same functionality to old-time Mac users? It could keep there relatively young hardware from being useless and could save a few bucks. If they like it, they could always install Knoppix to the HD or download and install Yellow Dog. Yellow Dog is also proported to be faster on the same hardware due to the RISC nature of the PPC architecture. Perhaps Knoppix would be faster as well.
I think Knoppix has a lot to offer in this area. Besides Knoppix is built off of Debian (http://www.debian.org) which has been ported to the Power PC (http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/). While I can't do it, it shouldn't be THAT difficult to make a Knoppix PPC port. What pitfalls am I not seeing.
I am interested in thoughts and insights. Let 'em rip.
a task like that would take a total rework of knoppix, from what i know. All the hardware detection would need to be rewritten and all... it would be almost as much work as it was to first make knoppix.....
Mac hardware has standardized a lot over the years. I don't think hardware detection would be that big of an issue. Heck the new G3's use PCI and pretty standard memory. With USB rounding out the mix, I can't see this as too difficult.All the hardware detection would need to be rewritten and all... it would be almost as much work as it was to first make knoppix.....
Any PPC Linux users out there up for the challenge? I wonder what Klaus has to say on the topic.

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00