Folks;
I am trying to learn about generating a custom kernel. But starting
slow, I tried to regenerate the kernel that came with Knoppix
3.7. without sucess. Long - but more data is better than not enuf.
uname -a = "Linux lt47 2.4.27 #2 SMP Mo Aug 9 00:39:37 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux"
I fetched the best looking package with apt-get
lt47:apt-get source kernel-source-2.4.27
giving me:
kernel-source-2.4.27_2.4.27.orig.tar.gz
kernel-source-2.4.27_2.4.27-6.diff
I opened the tar.gz in /usr/src.
I realigned the 'linux->' link to point to the new source directory
"linux -> kernel-source-2.4.27-2.4.27/"
I did the patch -p1 of the .diff from within the linux directory. Which
did not report any errors. All looked good.
Added Knoppix specific patch.
"cat knoppix-kernel.patch | patch -p0"
I have not been able to connect to www.xfs.org to obtain that patch
I copied the '.config' from the old /usr/src/linux-2.4.27 to my new "linux->" directory
Did a 'make oldconfig" to get the setting. New .config matched old .config
Did "make dep" -- OK
Then "make bzImage" resulting in this set of final lines:
Next "make modules" and this failsCode:objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -S compressed/bvmlinux compressed/bvmlinux.out tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT > bzImage Root device is (22, 1) Boot sector 512 bytes. Setup is 4869 bytes. System is 989 kB warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27-2.4.27/arch/i386/boot' root@lt47:/usr/src/linux#
The code that causes the failure is:Code:... gcc-2.95 -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27-2.4.27/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i386 -DMODULE -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=dgrs -c -o dgrs.o dgrs.c dgrs.c:137: dgrs_firmware.c: No such file or directory dgrs.c: In function `dgrs_download': dgrs.c:1040: `dgrs_ncode' undeclared (first use in this function) dgrs.c:1040: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once dgrs.c:1040: for each function it appears in.) dgrs.c:1040: `dgrs_code' undeclared (first use in this function) dgrs.c: In function `dgrs_init_module': dgrs.c:1501: `dgrs_firmnum' undeclared (first use in this function) dgrs.c:1501: `dgrs_firmdate' undeclared (first use in this function) dgrs.c:1501: `dgrs_firmver' undeclared (first use in this function) make[2]: *** [dgrs.o] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27-2.4.27/drivers/net' make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_net] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27-2.4.27/drivers' make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2 root@lt47:/usr/src/linux#
But unfortunately, NOFW appears nowhere else in this source tree.Code:/* * Firmware. Compiled separately for local compilation, * but #included for Linux distribution. */ #ifndef NOFW #include "dgrs_firmware.c" #else extern int dgrs_firmnum; extern char dgrs_firmver[]; extern char dgrs_firmdate[]; extern uchar dgrs_code[]; extern int dgrs_ncode; #endif
Checking my current system, there is no such module:Code:root@lt47:/usr/src/linux# grep -r NOFW * drivers/net/dgrs.c:#ifndef NOFW root@lt47:/usr/src/linux#
What now? what am I missing? Did this config file really make myCode:root@lt47:/lib/modules# ls 2.4.27 2.6.9 airo-mpi extra root@lt47:/lib/modules# find . -name "dsg*" -print root@lt47:/lib/modules#
kernel? Is there another package needed?

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99