View Poll Results: Is v3.2 even worth downloading?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it may have it's bugs but it's stable for the most part.

    8 66.67%
  • No, I would wait a while.

    4 33.33%
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 3.2 is it worth it?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6

    3.2 is it worth it?

    Hey all
    I'm fairly new to this, and I'm actually a Morphix man myself . I haven't used Knoppix at all yet. On to my main point. I haven't really heard anything good about 3.2. So is it worth it? Or should I just use 3.1 until 3.2 stablizes. (It seems as though there is an update almost everyday!) Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I can't even decide how to vote on this one, so I'm not going to.

    3.1 is faster, and works good. 3.2 is slower and for the most part works good, but some of the new features are just now getting fixed.

    I have dl'ed 3-23 (it was a bad dl), 3-24 (which is OK), and am presently getting 3-30, the versions prior to 3-26 didn't function properly as far as reloading your saved configuration and/or home files, actually I can get either to work by themselves, but not both together.

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6
    The reason I was asking is that I only have a modem . So downloading a version of Knoppix is a major undertaking.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Where do you live?

    I've had 3.2 rel.3-24 up on a computer at school now for a day plus and it seems to be OK. Any minute now I should have the 3-30 iso written to cd. I'm interested in getting it going, I have to manually edit the XF86Config-4 file on this computer, and I also get tired of re-configuring the printer, so I'm hoping that the myconfig and home boot options work properly on 3-30.

    rock

  5. #5

    Definately worth it

    Knoppix is at the opposite end of distros like Slackware, both of which I love and use on a daily basis, the former for demos and remastering and the latter for everything else.

    Slackware has always been about stable, fast technologies on a no-bloat, simple system, thats fast, reliable, easy to use and no unnecessary complication or over-simplification (im looking at YOU red hat!).

    Knoppix is about cutting edge software, im frankly suprised that Klaus doesnt release a version with 2.5.x kernel!!! Using this sort of bleeding edge software is beneficial in two ways. Firstly it gives the user a host of brand new features, and newly fixed software. Secondly, the more people using this software, the more people are testing it, writing bugfixes and documentation, which benefits not only the distribution but also the software in general. The more people using any given piece of software, the better (unless we're talking about cryptography and the American government, although in that case, crypt is good for the rest of us!)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6
    Well I don't really want a cutting-edge distro. I think I would rather have one that's stable. Because if it takes me forever and a day to download it I want it to work correctly!

    And to answer Rock's question, the US > MA

  7. #7

    true, but...

    Knoppix is for the most part stable. It certainly runs winXP into the ground when it comes to stability IMO, but sure its no slackware.

    Beta-software is largely stable, just isnt as stable as it could be. Also the basic stuff in there, kernel 2.4.20, gcc3.2 etc, is all stable stuff, all of which is in the latest slack release (which is stable!! .

    If a new application in knoppix crashes, you can kill it and start it again without rebooting (no consolation if you lose work, but nonetheless, does show that knoppix is largely stable).

    My old Slackware 8.1 machine had an uptime of over 6 months before i upgraded to Slackware 9.0

    My record for knoppix was 22 days, until I had a powercut and obviously had to reboot.

Similar Threads

  1. Combination DVD & CD readers and burners: worth it?
    By beforewisdom in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60