Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix On A Laptop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ft Collins Co
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix On A Laptop

    I recently went through the pains of actually installing knoppix to my laptops hard disk. Im not a master linux user yet and so I ran into a few snags that I had the joy of working out.

    I supose I should give a few stats on my laptop. It is not the latest and greatest by any means yet does what I need it to.

    Laptop Panasonic Toughbook CF-47
    CPU P2 366
    HDD 20gig
    13.3" tft screen
    24x CD Rom
    LS-120 SuperDisk (is floppy also)
    56k Xircom modem
    10/100 Zonenet PCMCIA Lan card
    Yamaha sound
    OS's Win 2000 and Knoppix3.2

    OK now for the install. I dled Knoppix 3.2 and toasted a cd with my desktop
    I then performed the normal procedures for installing knoppix onto a hd. I then logged in a root and proceded to poke around the files and get a feel for everything. That is when I ran into a few snags. I could not mount my cdrom or my floppy/ls-120. So I took a peek in the /mnt folder. What? No CDROM or FLOPPY? *sigh* Ok what do we have? well this was the ls of /mnt
    hda5 hdc sda
    So I went while in the /mnt folder and did the following
    mkdir cdrom<enter> (for all you newbies remember no news is good news)
    mkdir floppy<enter>
    mkdir hda1<enter>
    mkdir Win2k<enter>
    then i did a ls on and verified that all my new directories were there.
    then I ran a series of mount commands to besure that I could now mount all the devices and sure enough I could. The commands will look like this.

    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win2k

    mount /dev/floppy /mnt/sda (something to note here is that Knoppix is seeing the ls-120 as a scsi device. I really dont know why other flavors pick it up as a ls-120)

    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

    Now to my fstab settings. There was a bunch of hardware found that was commented out and I vied my fstab to look as follows.

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec 0 0
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win2k ntfs users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    #/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    /dev/sda /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
    #/dev/hdc /mnt/hdc auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

    now everything works and i can mount my drives. Now under the knoppix user I had to install OSS sound driver to make my sound card work and I have not yet tested the modem as I do not have a dialup account to try it on. Otherwise everything is running fine and I very happy. I hope that this post will inspire more posts of individuals installing Knoppix on to laptops.

    Happy Tweaking
    Nthline

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    I am glad you got it to work. You'r better at Linux than I am. I recently had the same problem, couldn't mount cdrom. This topic explains why you probably had the problem and the easy way to fix it.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1499

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 3.7 no go on hp ze4560 laptop
    By defects in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 10:28 PM
  2. Knoppix on Laptop
    By pnoori in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 08:59 AM
  3. Laptop Knoppix
    By dirty30ex in forum Laptops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
  4. knoppix hates my laptop
    By emericanchaos in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 03:32 PM
  5. Knoppix on laptop/wireless LAN
    By garyng in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller picture

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller

$499.99