-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
jccalhoun
The link you gave has a comment on the page saying KRfb is a small server for the RFB protocol, better known as VNC., but I've tried running krfb and have a few problems with it. What comes up when I run krfb is the desktop sharing utility. It has a way to invite another user, but I can't see any way to configure it for normal vnc operation. And a vnc client run on another computer on my network can't find the Knoppix system (by IP address) while this is running. So it seems less than useful. Again, it seems a shame that such a useful program as the vnc server has been removed.
-
I found this script you can use to add init.d after doing apt-get install vncserver and editing your .conf files to your liking.
# nano /etc/init.d/vncstart (replace nano with editor of your choice)
Then, enter in what I have below:
#! /bin/sh
NAME = vncstart
start ()
{
vncserver :1 -depth 24 -geometry 1000x750
}
stop()
{
vncserver -clean -kill :1
}
case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting Xvnc: "
start
;;
stop)
echo -n "Stopping Xvnc "
stop
;;
restart)
echo -n "Restarting Xvnc "
stop
start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0
don't forget to then in the terminal run:
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/vncstart
Since I'm lazy, to get this running under gentoo, of course use:
# rc-update add vncstart default
OR for Debian:
# update-rc.d vncstart defaults 50
OK, time for the very last bit:
# nano /root/.xsession
and enter in:
#!/bin/sh
startkde &
This will start kde when the vncserver is started at boot time.
ENJOY!
Other options which I will add later are for making it start as
someone other than root. If you need extra help, visit my site at
http://www.cahtech.co.uk, and the forums there too at
http://www.cahtech.co.uk/apps/bb
-

Originally Posted by
jccalhoun
Is krfb running by default, or do I have to make it auto-start somehow?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Instead of VNC, why don't you try FreeNX that comes with knoppix?
adduser -m NEW_USER
nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key
nxserver --useradd NEW_USER
nxserver --passwd NEW_USER
-
i tried that nxserver, but i cant get the client to connect.
i always get authentication failed.
and i tried about every user/password combination.
thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had similar problem before, but I solved it by recreating nomachine-key.
Follow eco2geek & garyng instruction about copying client.id_dsa.key and chmod 0755.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=nxserver
-

Originally Posted by
zxc

Originally Posted by
jccalhoun
Is krfb running by default, or do I have to make it auto-start somehow?
there's a short cut in the menu. but you can shell out and type krfb. it does not run until you tell it.
Similar Threads
-
By tedersl in forum German Forum
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:57 AM
-
By audax.a in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
-
By biscuits91 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 11:00 PM
-
By Cad0587 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:50 AM
-
By comanam in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$79.99

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00

Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2
$34.99

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99