Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: knoppix without a monitor

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jccalhoun
    Check out krfb. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/krfb it is installed as of 3.6 I think it has replaced vnc.
    The link you gave has a comment on the page saying KRfb is a small server for the RFB protocol, better known as VNC., but I've tried running krfb and have a few problems with it. What comes up when I run krfb is the desktop sharing utility. It has a way to invite another user, but I can't see any way to configure it for normal vnc operation. And a vnc client run on another computer on my network can't find the Knoppix system (by IP address) while this is running. So it seems less than useful. Again, it seems a shame that such a useful program as the vnc server has been removed.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    I found this script you can use to add init.d after doing apt-get install vncserver and editing your .conf files to your liking.

    # nano /etc/init.d/vncstart (replace nano with editor of your choice)

    Then, enter in what I have below:

    #! /bin/sh
    NAME = vncstart
    start ()
    {
    vncserver :1 -depth 24 -geometry 1000x750
    }
    stop()
    {
    vncserver -clean -kill :1
    }
    case "$1" in
    start)
    echo -n "Starting Xvnc: "
    start
    ;;
    stop)
    echo -n "Stopping Xvnc "
    stop
    ;;
    restart)
    echo -n "Restarting Xvnc "
    stop
    start
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop|restart}"
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac
    exit 0

    don't forget to then in the terminal run:

    # chmod 755 /etc/init.d/vncstart

    Since I'm lazy, to get this running under gentoo, of course use:

    # rc-update add vncstart default

    OR for Debian:

    # update-rc.d vncstart defaults 50

    OK, time for the very last bit:

    # nano /root/.xsession

    and enter in:

    #!/bin/sh
    startkde &

    This will start kde when the vncserver is started at boot time.

    ENJOY!

    Other options which I will add later are for making it start as
    someone other than root. If you need extra help, visit my site at
    http://www.cahtech.co.uk, and the forums there too at
    http://www.cahtech.co.uk/apps/bb

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jccalhoun
    Check out krfb. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/krfb it is installed as of 3.6 I think it has replaced vnc.

    Is krfb running by default, or do I have to make it auto-start somehow?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Instead of VNC, why don't you try FreeNX that comes with knoppix?

    adduser -m NEW_USER

    nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key

    nxserver --useradd NEW_USER

    nxserver --passwd NEW_USER

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    i tried that nxserver, but i cant get the client to connect.

    i always get authentication failed.
    and i tried about every user/password combination.

    thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I had similar problem before, but I solved it by recreating nomachine-key.
    Follow eco2geek & garyng instruction about copying client.id_dsa.key and chmod 0755.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=nxserver

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by zxc
    Quote Originally Posted by jccalhoun
    Check out krfb. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/krfb it is installed as of 3.6 I think it has replaced vnc.

    Is krfb running by default, or do I have to make it auto-start somehow?
    there's a short cut in the menu. but you can shell out and type krfb. it does not run until you tell it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix und Touchscreen Monitor
    By tedersl in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:57 AM
  2. Messed up monitor after using Knoppix.
    By audax.a in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
  3. Monitor shuts down? Trying Knoppix
    By biscuits91 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 11:00 PM
  4. My monitor shakes only when in Knoppix
    By Cad0587 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:50 AM
  5. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G

$75.00



Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module picture

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module

$599.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco WS-C3850-12X48U-S 48-Port UPoE Switch 1100W PSU picture

Cisco WS-C3850-12X48U-S 48-Port UPoE Switch 1100W PSU

$149.99