Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help with Remastering Questions

  1. #1

    Help with Remastering Questions

    Hello all,

    I am in the process of remastering the CD for a second time and wanted to know a few things. I have looked thru the forums and did not see this awnsered but if it is please point me to it.

    1) I would like to have the cd auto mount a USB pen drive that would have /var on it. THis way mysql and logs can be written to USB stick. Can this be done so knoppix will auto use the USB drive?

    2) How to I change the kde style on the apps to be different.?

    Thanks Nick

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    For your #1 I hammered out a bash shell script that checks to see if a USB drive exists at /dev/sda1. If it does then it makes a temporary directory & copies the existsing contents of /var to it. Then it mounts the USB drive as /var and copies the contents of the temp directory to the new /var. I have no idea if this will actually work but I figure this is a good starting point. All the conditional if statements are present to allow for a graceful failure. I maintain no guarantee or warranty in regards to the script: Use it at your own risk.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #The following if tests for a block device at /dev/sda1
    if [ -b /dev/sda1 ] ; then
    	echo "The USB drive exists."
    	mkdir /home/knoppix/temp
    	#if we made the temp directory then rsync copy the /var to the temp
    	if [ -d /home/knoppix/temp ] ; then
    		rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /var/ /home/knoppix/temp/
    		if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    			#if the rsync copy was successful then mount USB drive
    			mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /var
    			if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    				#if the mount is successful then rsync copy to the USB drive
    				rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /home/knoppix/temp/ /var
    				if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    					#if that was successful then we are done
    					echo "Copy complete. /var is now the mounted USB drive."
    				else
    					"Could not copy /home/knoppix/temp to mounted /var."
    					exit
    				fi
    			else
    				"Could not copy /var to temp."
    				exit
    			fi
    		else
    			echo "Could not mount the USB drive." 
    			exit
    		fi
    	else
    		"Could not make temp directory."
    		exit
    	fi
    else
            echo "USB drive does not exist"
            exit
    fi
    As for your #2, you can change the widget style and the window style in the KDE Control Center. This is located in the K menu or use the command kcontrol. I don't like the default style so I like to install the kdeartwork package and use the Plastik style.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    thanks for the script. I will give it a try. For #2 is that the only way to change. I usually use fluxbox and some of the apps like ethereal come up with the kde theme on it. SO I was just wanting to change it in a config file. Is that possible?

    Nick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    some of the apps like ethereal come up with the kde theme on it. SO I was just wanting to change it in a config file. Is that possible?
    If I recall correctly, the ethereal GUI is based on GTK+ not QT/KDE. So now the question is how do we change the GTK themes?
    I noticed that Knoppix includes the following packages:
    Code:
    gtk-engines-geramik      0.26-2                   Geramik GTK1.x Theme
    gtk-engines-geramik-data 0.26-2                   Geramik GTK Theme bitmaps
    gtk-engines-qtpixmap     0.28-1.1                 QtPixmap GTK1.x theming engine
    gtk2-engines-geramik     0.26-2                   Geramik GTK2.x Theme
    gtk2-engines-qtpixmap    0.28-1.1                 QtPixmap GTK2.x theming engine
    It looks like those packages are the ones that supply the GTK apps with their widget styles. You might consider searching the forum about changing GTK themes or maybe even posting this question in the General forum so it gets more exposure.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  5. #5
    thank you for your help. Forgto Ethereal was a gtk2 app, just looks so much like plastik from kde.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Few questions about remastering...
    By Sephiroth? in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
  2. Some questions about remastering
    By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 04:36 AM
  3. A few Remastering Questions
    By DeadCreep666 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 12:28 PM
  4. A few questions before remastering :-)
    By Gamito in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 05:33 PM
  5. Remastering questions.
    By TDSK in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New picture

vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New

$99.00



Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 & Mouse II M2706 ADB Cable Bundle Mac picture

Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 & Mouse II M2706 ADB Cable Bundle Mac

$69.99



Lot Vintage 1991 Apple Microsoft Classic Software Disk Manual User Guide 7.0.1 + picture

Lot Vintage 1991 Apple Microsoft Classic Software Disk Manual User Guide 7.0.1 +

$74.95



1991 Vintage Apple Macintosh Mac System 7 6 Disks 914-0363-B Software 7.1 tidbit picture

1991 Vintage Apple Macintosh Mac System 7 6 Disks 914-0363-B Software 7.1 tidbit

$24.95



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working picture

Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working

$22.99



Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED picture

Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED

$199.00



Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord picture

Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord

$44.99



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00