Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Edit: Need help by resizing ext3 Partition w/o data loss!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9

    Edit: Need help by resizing ext3 Partition w/o data loss!

    Hi,

    I wanted to change my Windows NTFS Partition with Partition Magic, but I got after a few percent an "Seek Error #46".
    After that, my NTFS Partition with Win2000 could'nt boot ... It quited booting with the error: "Inaccessible_Boot_Device".
    I tried the Repair Funktion from Win 2000 CD but It didn't help. chkdsk /f didn't worked and it came the error "Could'nt find partition"

    With my Fedora Core 3 Installation, I can't mount the NTFS Partition. It says "Can't mount partition, bad superblock..."

    But with Knoppix 3.7 CD I can read the partition and my question is now: Is there any programm or function like chkdsk in Knoppix/Linux
    or any other thing which can repair by bad ntfs partition/the superblock.

    ???

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can I repair my Windows Partition (NTFS) with Linux? Hel

    Quote Originally Posted by wartiger
    ......But with Knoppix 3.7 CD I can read the partition and my question is now: Is there any programm or function like chkdsk in Knoppix/Linux
    or any other thing which can repair by bad ntfs partition/the superblock.
    Your best bet by far wouold be to use Knoppix to recover anything you want to save from that NTFS partition, and then use normal Windows tools to delete the partition, then recreate it and reformat it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9

    Re: Can I repair my Windows Partition (NTFS) with Linux? Hel

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by wartiger
    ......But with Knoppix 3.7 CD I can read the partition and my question is now: Is there any programm or function like chkdsk in Knoppix/Linux
    or any other thing which can repair by bad ntfs partition/the superblock.
    Your best bet by far wouold be to use Knoppix to recover anything you want to save from that NTFS partition, and then use normal Windows tools to delete the partition, then recreate it and reformat it.
    Hey,

    thanks for your reply. I'll do that, but there is the first problem:
    I have second harddrive with an ext3 partition, there I will copy my ntfs files, but when I boot from the Knoppix Live CD, I have no write access on hdb1.
    How can I change that?
    Can Linux copy files from ntfs to ext3? Normally yes, or not?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can I repair my Windows Partition (NTFS) with Linux? Hel

    Quote Originally Posted by wartiger
    thanks for your reply. I'll do that, but there is the first problem:
    I have second harddrive with an ext3 partition, there I will copy my ntfs files, but when I boot from the Knoppix Live CD, I have no write access on hdb1.
    How can I change that?
    Can Linux copy files from ntfs to ext3? Normally yes, or not?
    You can change the read-only access to read/write a number of ways. I usually use the mount command (from a shell, see man mount). But you can also do it from the desktop icon. First right click on the icon and mount it. Then right click and go to the actions... option, which gives you a sub-menu where you make the partition read/write.

    Sure, Linux can copy files from an NTFS partition just fine, and it can write them to a Linux partition (which you'll only be able to read with Linux, doh) or to any of the normal FAT partitions, which you could then read with a MS OS.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9
    Hey,

    ok, thanks a lot. It works now... I'm cp'ing ...

    Now a last question: Can I change the size of my Linux Partition with Partition Magic without any problems?!
    I mean, does Linux boot after a size-change?
    Or are there any better programms for changing the size of an "active" linux partition?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    The newer partition magics should be able to resize correctly, Though you could always use ext2resizer but that requires messing with fdisk.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9
    Hi,

    it seems that this will take long...
    Partition Magic 8 can't resize ext3 Partitions. Parted can't do that too...
    ok, no problem, I just converted my ext3 to ext2 with tune2fs -O ^has_jounral /dev/hda1

    BUT, parted quitted with the same error as before ("Filesystem has incompatible features")
    Partition Magic can't resize the converted "ext2" partition too...
    What now?

    dumpe2fs /dev/hda1 says

    Code:
    ...
    Filesystem features:      ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super large_file
    ...
    Hmmm, someone knows anything to do?
    [/code]

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9
    Hmmm, some knows help?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I had the same problem (parted unable to resize ext3 partition with knoppix on it...see post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13566) I ended up using fdisk (linux fdisk, not MS fdisk) which meant the knoppix install was trashed.
    Why do you need to resize? Are you running out of space? You can maybe get around resizing by creating a new partition then moving /home or something to it so your knoppix install is spread over two partitions. Or you could remove some unneeded applications to free up some space.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9
    Hey,

    thanks, yeah, I have no more free space. Hm, do you think the will add ext3-resizing support in the next versions of parted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Linux tool for resizing ReiserFS partition
    By s-m-n in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 06:55 PM
  2. sudden loss in partition?
    By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
  3. Loss of data?
    By jeeves2001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 03:22 AM
  4. Data Loss and Saving Problems
    By djbjrca in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. Problem resizing NTFS partition (bad sectors?)
    By dtopper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5) picture

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)

$2085.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial DDR4 Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM 288-Pin CP32G4DFRA32A.M16FF picture

Crucial DDR4 Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM 288-Pin CP32G4DFRA32A.M16FF

$640.00



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



MIXED *LOT OF 33*  DESKTOP MEMORY RAM picture

MIXED *LOT OF 33* DESKTOP MEMORY RAM

$400.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00