Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Edit: Need help by resizing ext3 Partition w/o data loss!

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by wartiger
    Hey,

    thanks, yeah, I have no more free space. Hm, do you think the will add ext3-resizing support in the next versions of parted?
    It's not a problem with ext3 support, it's something with knoppix. When I created a new ext3 partition, parted could resize it but as soon as I put knoppix on it, it couldn't. The version of parted shipped with knoppix is a compact version, maybe the full version would work better but then how could you install it to the CD? You couldn't use klik, klik needs a persistent home which needs the HD & parted only works on an unmounted HD. Easiest I think would be for you to remove packages you don't need. Start with 'localepurge' and then 'apt-get remove kde-i18n*' which will free up about 100 Meg of extra language support.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1

    ext3 resizing

    To resize ext3 partition with qtparted or parted on (unmounted) hda5 (for example) do this:

    tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/hda5

    tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5

    resize with qtparted or parted, then

    tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hda5

    tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda5

    Summary: Change ext3 to ext2, resize, then change ext2 back to ext3.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9

    Re: ext3 resizing

    Quote Originally Posted by jdavid
    To resize ext3 partition with qtparted or parted on (unmounted) hda5 (for example) do this:

    tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/hda5

    tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5

    resize with qtparted or parted, then

    tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hda5

    tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda5

    Summary: Change ext3 to ext2, resize, then change ext2 back to ext3.
    I did that all and parted says: "Error: Filesystem has incompatible feature enabled.

    But now I can change the Size with qtparted, but it quits when doing it with an error.

    dump2fs:

    Code:
    Filesystem features:      ext_attr resize_inode filetype sparse_super large_file
    Some of these features seems to cause this problem... but which? And can I disable it without problems?

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    What I did was make a backup of the partition with partimage then delete and creat the new bigger partition.

    After reloading it with the partimage backup I ran ext2resizer and that expanded it to fill the whole partition.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    What I did was make a backup of the partition with partimage then delete and creat the new bigger partition.

    After reloading it with the partimage backup I ran ext2resizer and that expanded it to fill the whole partition.
    I already tried that, but PartImage quitted with error.. :/
    I think the only way is to find out which feature doesn't work with parted and how I can disable it and enable it after the resizing again...

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Crailsheim
    Posts
    9
    Can somebody tell me what I should do? Will I ever learn how to repair my partition?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Linux tool for resizing ReiserFS partition
    By s-m-n in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 06:55 PM
  2. sudden loss in partition?
    By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
  3. Loss of data?
    By jeeves2001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 03:22 AM
  4. Data Loss and Saving Problems
    By djbjrca in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. Problem resizing NTFS partition (bad sectors?)
    By dtopper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00