Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Usb connectivity with kernel26/knoppix 3.7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Usb connectivity with kernel26/knoppix 3.7

    With Knoppix 3.4 my usb modem is working ok and is identified as /dev/usb/ttyACM0. Using Knoppix 3.7 and the Linux26 kernel I am unable to access the modem so far. I have searched high and low, but cannot find the device the kernel is using. The module cdc-acm is loaded. The program Usbview shows full details of the modem. If I cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get to see details of the modem, but no reference to the usb device it is accessing. Dmesg just shows one line saying it has found some hardware, but nothing else. I have not looked at /var/log/messages - it is not running at boot anyway.
    Can anyone help ?
    I wonder if all of the correct usb modules are loaded for Linux26 ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    No Luck !

    Still no progress with this. I cannot identify the device used by the modem while in Knoppix 3.7. Knoppix 3.4 says ttyACM0 in the logs.


    Does anyone have a suggestion for some easy means of testing for the device - like sending some code or and instuction to the usb modem devices and looking for a response. I have not had any luck with minicom or wvdialconf.

    Brian

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Update

    From my Google research it appears that a the cdc.adm module may not be working properly. Either this or udev is not allocating a device for the usb modem properly. As this modem has a serial input as well as usb, I have switched to this. The modem is now working under Knoppix 3.7.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Update

    I am back on Knoppix 3.4. Using the serial cable (previous post) was only a partial solution. It restricted me to one 64k isdn channel and was dead slow. Just to remind you of my problem. Knoppix 3.4 will log a device name for my usb modem (/dev/usb/ttyACMO) while Knoppix 3.7 will not. It posts
    usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
    usbcore: registered new driver cdc-acm
    drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: V0.23
    USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters.

    I did some Googling and followed some posts about the new udev code for creating usb devices. But I am out of my depth understanding some of this. Also wondering if the sysfs is at fault. I cannot see any reference to usb modems in /etc/sysfs. Still searching for answers.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Question

    Is it possible to install udev while running from the Cdrom ? I would like to run apt-get install udev. Or can I use the Knoppix install software feature to install udev ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I had similar problems with a USB modem under Kanotix with the 2.6.9 kernel. I haven't tried Knoppix 3.7 but have had good luck with Mepis with a 2.6.7 kernel. There is a mailing list/forum of sorts at http://www.linux-usb.org/ if you want to pursue the thing.

    HTH.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:35 PM
  2. Internet connectivity
    By mpeden in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 11:17 AM
  3. Internet Connectivity
    By mpeden in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 12:32 AM
  4. No internet/WAN connectivity; I'm clueless
    By Berserkier in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM
  5. Internet connectivity
    By tkrishna in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(LOT OF 72) KINGSTON 8GB RAM 1Rx8 PC4-2400R DDR4 Memory picture

(LOT OF 72) KINGSTON 8GB RAM 1Rx8 PC4-2400R DDR4 Memory

$2000.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98