-
Usb connectivity with kernel26/knoppix 3.7
With Knoppix 3.4 my usb modem is working ok and is identified as /dev/usb/ttyACM0. Using Knoppix 3.7 and the Linux26 kernel I am unable to access the modem so far. I have searched high and low, but cannot find the device the kernel is using. The module cdc-acm is loaded. The program Usbview shows full details of the modem. If I cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get to see details of the modem, but no reference to the usb device it is accessing. Dmesg just shows one line saying it has found some hardware, but nothing else. I have not looked at /var/log/messages - it is not running at boot anyway.
Can anyone help ?
I wonder if all of the correct usb modules are loaded for Linux26 ?
-
No Luck !
Still no progress with this. I cannot identify the device used by the modem while in Knoppix 3.7. Knoppix 3.4 says ttyACM0 in the logs.
Does anyone have a suggestion for some easy means of testing for the device - like sending some code or and instuction to the usb modem devices and looking for a response. I have not had any luck with minicom or wvdialconf.
Brian
-
Update
From my Google research it appears that a the cdc.adm module may not be working properly. Either this or udev is not allocating a device for the usb modem properly. As this modem has a serial input as well as usb, I have switched to this. The modem is now working under Knoppix 3.7.
-
Update
I am back on Knoppix 3.4. Using the serial cable (previous post) was only a partial solution. It restricted me to one 64k isdn channel and was dead slow. Just to remind you of my problem. Knoppix 3.4 will log a device name for my usb modem (/dev/usb/ttyACMO) while Knoppix 3.7 will not. It posts
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
usbcore: registered new driver cdc-acm
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: V0.23
USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters.
I did some Googling and followed some posts about the new udev code for creating usb devices. But I am out of my depth understanding some of this. Also wondering if the sysfs is at fault. I cannot see any reference to usb modems in /etc/sysfs. Still searching for answers.
-
Question
Is it possible to install udev while running from the Cdrom ? I would like to run apt-get install udev. Or can I use the Knoppix install software feature to install udev ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had similar problems with a USB modem under Kanotix with the 2.6.9 kernel. I haven't tried Knoppix 3.7 but have had good luck with Mepis with a 2.6.7 kernel. There is a mailing list/forum of sorts at http://www.linux-usb.org/ if you want to pursue the thing.
HTH.
Similar Threads
-
By colpitts in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:35 PM
-
By mpeden in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 11:17 AM
-
By mpeden in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 12:32 AM
-
By Berserkier in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM
-
By tkrishna in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Computer Peripherals Inc. Ramsack III ISA Memory Expansion 16bit 8 SIMM
$85.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc
$69.99

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage
$249.00

Vintage Retro NOS Seagate ST-277R-1 65MB 5.25" RLL Hard Drive Vintage XT AT Era
$129.95

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Abacus Software Vintage Commodore 64 Book Lot 3: Printer, Sci & Eng, ML
$100.00

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99