Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help. May have been hacked.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    Help. May have been hacked.

    Well, my computer lately has been acting up. With KNoppix I have been accessing the internet, then when I am finished, I shut it off. I have dial up. I kept the phone line connected to the wall from the computer. and a few hours later, the computer mysteriously starts up by itself. I got suspicious after this happened EVERY TIME I TURNED THE COMPUTER OFF WITH THE PHONE LINE IN, AND I eventually, a few days ago, unplugged the computer from the phone jack. The computer has stopped starting up by itself. Has my computer been hacked. Is a hacker somehow accessing my computer even when it's off?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Help. May have been hacked.

    Many computers have wake-on-lan and wake-on-ring options to let the computer power down but turn itself on when an incoming event needs it. I suspect it's most likely that your computer is waking up when it sees an incoming ring. This is likely something you can disable in your BIOS.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Easy way to try is to turn the PC off, plug in the line and called the line.

Similar Threads

  1. Has my apt-get been hacked?
    By linuxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 01:13 PM
  2. Xbox hacked to run Linux without mod chip
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 01:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00