Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: question about partitioning with qtparted

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30

    question about partitioning with qtparted

    I have 4 gigs of free space on my laptop (according to windows), that I wanna use for knoppix.
    When I put the knoppix CD in, everything works fine, and I get started.
    When I fire up qtparted, it shows a big hunk being used by windows (in which there is the 4 free gigs that I want to use)
    If I scroll qtparted over (like to shrink the size of that partition) will I lose data? I have hearrd that it's non destructive, but I would like some confirmation from the community.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Correct it will not destroy the data

    (Of course the is always that off chances, so you may want to back up, but no problems have been reported and I didn't have to use my backup.)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30
    ok, so it'll take that space not from some contiguous chunk, but instead from wherever it finds that there are no files on it, right?
    Or will it rearrange the files until it makes a chunk that's 4 gigs large?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    DEFRAGAMENT FIRST TO GET THE FILES TO THE BEGINNING OF THE PARTITION AND TO FREE UP MORE SPACE FOR YOUR OTHER NEW PARTITION.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by jehan60188
    Or will it rearrange the files until it makes a chunk that's 4 gigs large?
    Correct, thats the safer route, I do know that the new ntfsresizer program can move around fragments, but thats just more room for error.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem partitioning with qtparted
    By Newbie-100 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:57 PM
  2. Help with QTParted partitioning
    By BillinBoston in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
  3. Partitioning Question
    By kn2user in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM
  5. qtparted question
    By spangeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99