Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: knoppix without a monitor

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5

    knoppix without a monitor

    hello, i want to use knoppix without a monitor.

    is there any service started automatically after it booted?
    like ssh server or even better VNC?
    what are the usernames/passwords to log in to these services?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    SSH server does not load by default on bootup.
    The method I use is to get sshd running. I boot to a command line using the cheat code: knoppix 2
    I know it is finished loading when the CDROM slows down.
    Then I change the root passwd: passwd
    Then I run sshd: /etc/init.d/ssh start

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    that sounds like a nice trick!

    what do you mean by cheatcode?
    where do i type that?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    ok, i figured it out.
    ssh works now!
    thanks a lot so far.

    now what would be nice, is if i could start the desktop on that machine as well and control it via vnc, is that possible?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by ehmdjii
    ok, i figured it out.
    ssh works now!
    thanks a lot so far.

    now what would be nice, is if i could start the desktop on that machine as well and control it via vnc, is that possible?
    You don't acually need vnc to control a desktop remotely, you can start an X server from a different machine, and run any X app from the other machine on your X server. Acually, now that I think about it, you can do that with ssh, here's the procedure:

    1) start an X server on the client machine, with an xterm, you could use the command X :1.0 | xterm -display :1.0 from a terminal.
    2) log in via ssh from the xterm
    3) run startkde

    Doing it with ssh will probably be slower, but it should work.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I got so tired of everyone telling ehmdjii how to run ssh when he's said he's already done that but what he really wants to do is run VNC that I fired up Knoppix myself to be sure I got the step-by-step operation in getting VNC up in server mode correct. Damn, I can't find VNC on the Knoppix 3.7 CD anywhere. Not even the VNC viewer (client). Has VNC been yanked from Knoppix now? Or is it hidden somewhere where I can't find it? Used to be in the menus, but I sure can't find it there. If it can still be accessed by the command line, will someone please post which version of VNC Knoppix might still have?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5
    turbinator, thanks, but i really need to control the desktop there because i want to play mp3s from it for example.

    harry, ive been looking for VNC myself now for a while, but couldnt find it. i found however this nxserver which seems to be something similar, but i couldnt get to connect to it yet.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ehmdjii
    ..... ive been looking for VNC myself now for a while, but couldnt find it......
    I know some form of VNC used to be in Knoppix. Damn shame if they ditched it, particularly the tiny VNC client, while keeping so much other redundant stuff and things of questionable merit. I realize they do drop things to make room on the CD, but at least the last time I check Knoppix had (at least) three different spread sheet programs. It currently shows no less than 11 different editors in the menu under editors, and that doesn't count Open Office or anything else that might be hanging around but not listed. They have taken out an awful lot of good games since I first saw Knoppix (likely some even before that), but taking out the VNC server and client seems to be a bit extreme.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Well, I found a viewer in the menu under Internet -> Remote Desktop Connection. No vnc server yet.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4
    Check out krfb. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/krfb it is installed as of 3.6 I think it has replaced vnc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix und Touchscreen Monitor
    By tedersl in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:57 AM
  2. Messed up monitor after using Knoppix.
    By audax.a in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
  3. Monitor shuts down? Trying Knoppix
    By biscuits91 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 11:00 PM
  4. My monitor shakes only when in Knoppix
    By Cad0587 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 07:50 AM
  5. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-12500 3.00 GHz LGA 1700 Desktop CPU Processor SRL5V picture

Intel Core i5-12500 3.00 GHz LGA 1700 Desktop CPU Processor SRL5V

$125.00



Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good picture

Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



hp Desktop PC Computer Quad Core 16GB RAM DUAL 22

hp Desktop PC Computer Quad Core 16GB RAM DUAL 22" LCDs Wi-Fi BT Windows 11 SSD

$219.99