Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: help with zip usb external drive

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237
    OK I will run modconf again later tonite and look for "mass storage module". I assume if I find that, I install the module? OK and I can take the write protect off the disk on my Windows machine here at work. As far as the check boxes in permissions, I have never been able to change them. They are muted grey. I tried logging on as root, doing "su" but it still cant change them. That may be all I need to get this drive to work....so I will try to monkey around with it later today and post results. bob

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    zip woez

    Hello again! Well I am getting a TINY bit further.....I disabled the write protect from the zip disk and when I re started computer I no longer get the long string of errors at boot up. I checked if the module for mass storage was installed and it is. So now the problem remaining is a mount error, like before.
    If i put a space in fstab like below:

    /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip I get following error when I try to mount drive:

    Could not mount device. The reported error was: Mount: can't find vfat in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.

    Here is the line I added to fstab: /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat defaults,users,rw,noauto,noexec,noatime,umask=000 0 0

    I looked in /etc/mtab and there is no reference to the zip drive. Actually I am not familiar with what should be in the mtab file. What does error mean by not being able to find "vfat"? In /etc/fstab there is a reference to that word in the new line i put in there! Well if you still have any patience left maybe you can suggest something .....otherwise I may have to put the zip drive away for now!!!!! bob

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Is the device actually referred to as sda4? I know mine is and usaully they get that when zips are installed. Maybe it is sda1, 2 ,3, ...... Check that to see if it is correct. Also, this is all being done as root, correct?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. How to configure a External CD - RW drive ?
    By freelysj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 02:44 PM
  2. how to mount external USB DVD drive
    By pubo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
  3. 3.8.2 and external usb hard drive( Newbie help)
    By grakem in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
  4. Installing to external drive
    By Aldago in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 09:45 PM
  5. External JAZ 2GB Parallel Drive
    By bluedevlx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$280.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99