Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Easier way to use a camera in linux?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76

    Easier way to use a camera in linux?

    I got a FinePix A340 from a friend, brand new for 85 bucks. I created the camera folder in mnt and that works, but only for root, plus I have to mount it everytime like a normal device. GTKam and Digikam don't recognize it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by shah
    I get this. When I mount it it shows up as sda1 and sdb1 due to an earlier mistake I made. Where should I edit the script to use them?


    Code:
    grep: /proc/scsi/usb-storage-*: No such file or directory

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I used this howto:
    http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/ma...rmissions.html
    ... mainly the 4.3 section when getting Gtkam to hotplug my camera also for my user me.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Most of that stuff is a bit too advance for me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Don't worry, it took me a while too. It just looks complicated but when read through it's not so bad.

    How about a simplified version: http://nift.freeshell.org/camedia.html
    You can add the group camera with kuser or change a line in usbcam.group:
    #GROUP=camera
    GROUP=users

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    I made a work around script for my laziness. I'll share it if anyone cares.

    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera && sudo konqueror /mnt/camera
    This is enough for me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Thought I should post this since most of the suggestions in the links don't work & it took quite a while for me to figure out how to get my camera to work.

    Kano's script didn't work (same error as ZeroKun got) & "gphoto2 --print-usb-usermap >> /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap" doesn't work with newer versions of gphoto2.

    But this worked:
    1) /usr/lib/libgphoto2-2/print-usb-usermap > /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam.usermap
    2) cp /usr/share/doc/libgphoto2-2/linux-hotplug/usbcam.group /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam
    3) edit the "GROUP=" line in /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam to specify the group you want to have access to the camera (I just used the group 'users')
    4) chmod +x /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam to make the script executable

    That's it, camera should work for any user in the group.

    I've been using flphoto as a graphical frontend to gphoto2.
    Konqueror has an io plugin 'kamera' which is supposed to access the camera with the url 'camera:/' but I cannot get it to work. Anybody else try it?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Thought I should post this since most of the suggestions in the links don't work & it took quite a while for me to figure out how to get my camera to work.
    Umm, your solution is actually straight from the 4.3.2. section of http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/ma...rmissions.html which I posted earlier.

    I've been using flphoto as a graphical frontend to gphoto2.
    Konqueror has an io plugin 'kamera' which is supposed to access the camera with the url 'camera:/' but I cannot get it to work. Anybody else try it?
    Haven't tried as I don't use konq much, but gtkam is quite nice.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Umfromm, your solution is actually straight the 4.3.2. section of http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/ma...rmissions.html which I posted earlier.
    Not quite 'straight from', the link suggests the "gphoto2 --print-usb-usermap >> /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap" command which doesn't work & it took me a while to find the usbcam.group scripts as they are in usr/share/doc/libgphoto2-2/ not /usr/share/doc/gphoto2/ as in the how-to.

    The '/usr/lib/libgphoto2-2/print-usb-usermap > /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam.usermap' came from your reply in a different post for which I should have given credit...sorry.

    Just thought I should put it all together in an easy step by step for the benefit of the next caller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Get USB Camera Working in 2.6.9
    By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 03:21 AM
  2. Remastering just got easier?
    By mzilikazi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 10:14 PM
  3. HDD install with KNX2HD and KNX-HDINSTALL easier than ever
    By godot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 03:15 PM
  4. nVidia hindsight - ok, but what is easier?
    By nrj in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 06:23 AM
  5. Scripts to make KNOPPIX->custom easier . . .
    By teverettak in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage ACS CompactFlash CF to 40-Pin IDE Drive Adapter Board ACS-CF-1LVT805A picture

Vintage ACS CompactFlash CF to 40-Pin IDE Drive Adapter Board ACS-CF-1LVT805A

$16.99



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage HP Pavilion PC Case picture

Vintage HP Pavilion PC Case

$99.99



Mixed Lot Of Vintage Software And Drivers - Install Discs - CDs - 94 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Of Vintage Software And Drivers - Install Discs - CDs - 94 Pieces

$85.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$155.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59