Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Flash disk problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Flash disk problem

    I have a problem with my buildin multicard reader.
    when I insert a compact flash card it is not detected
    I boot from a Knoppix 3.7 CD
    lsmod gives me the following output
    Code:
    Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
    autofs4                 8756   1
    af_packet              13544   0 (autoclean)
    via82cxxx_audio        19448   1
    ac97_codec             11916   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
    uart401                 6052   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
    sound                  55276   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
    soundcore               3428   4 [via82cxxx_audio sound]
    via-rhine              12336   1
    mii                     2240   0 [via-rhine]
    crc32                   2816   0 [via-rhine]
    serial                 52100   0 (autoclean)
    pcmcia_core            39840   0
    thermal                 6724   0 (unused)
    processor               9008   0 [thermal]
    fan                     1600   0 (unused)
    button                  2700   0 (unused)
    battery                 5952   0
    ac                      1824   0
    rtc                     7036   0 (autoclean)
    cloop                   8740   2
    sbp2                   16396   0 (unused)
    ohci1394               22664   0 (unused)
    ieee1394              183076   0 [sbp2 ohci1394]
    usb-storage            61760   0
    usb-uhci               21644   0 (unused)
    usbcore                57600   1 [usb-storage usb-uhci]
    ataraid                 6180   0
    ide-scsi                8816   1
    and the output from lsusb is
    Code:
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0aec:3050 Neodio Technologies Corp. ND3050 8-in-1 Card Reader
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    So the card reader itself is detected
    The command
    Code:
    ls /mnt
    results in
    Code:
    auto  cdrom  cdrom1  floppy  hd  pts  sda1  sda3  sda5  sda6  sdb  sys  test
    My hard drive is sda. I think that sdb is the flash disk so Knoppix knows at least at some level that there it is there.
    But when I try
    Code:
    mount -t msdos /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb
    I get
    Code:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
           or too many mounted file systems
    I dont know what to try next
    Thanks
    Charles

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    Try this:

    First, try fdisk -l to check what kind of partitions fdisk can see on your flash drive.

    Depending on that you might want to try different filesystem types ( I am not sure if vfat is similar to msdos but I always use it to mount fat32 partitions).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    I tried vfat but that didn't help
    I will try fdisk -l tonight when I get back home. At least I know that the hardware works as I did manage to get it working with
    system rescue cd (http://www.sysresccd.org)
    I am thinking that maybe some needed kernel module is not loaded.
    Thanks for your reply nick666
    Charles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    What is the fstab entry for this device?

Similar Threads

  1. USB Flash disk / USB memory Stick FAQ - HOW DO I install to?
    By gerasmus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
  2. can you boot from flash disk on usb 2 with the CD Image
    By bin_aries in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 05:07 AM
  3. My USB flash disk can't be a persistant homedir!
    By luke35 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 11:49 PM
  4. Auto encrypting USB Flash disk.
    By jj54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 08:16 PM
  5. home= and config= conflict with Compact Flash disk?
    By sinanju in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$229.95



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08