Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: help with hdinstall [v3.6]

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11

    help with hdinstall [v3.6]

    Hi!
    I have tested Knoppix on CD some days now and really like so I wanna do a hdinstall..
    In Windows I resized one of my bigger partitions and created a 1GB for swap and a ~11GB för Knoppix.

    I open the console in knoppix and type "sudo knoppix-installer" and when I press OK it says I haven't done all the requirements which are a partition for swapfile and another for knoppix itself...


    What have I made wrong?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Did you format the 2 as linux swap and linux?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11
    i found out that you should create the partitions as ex3 & linux-swap in qtparter so my ntfs-partitions made in windows didn't work so good
    Well now I have installed knoppix to the linux-partition, but I can't boot it. It just boots Windows. If I use the knoppix-cd I can boot, but ofcause only the cd-version. I can see that there are a partion with all the files for knoppix..

    What shall I do??

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    You probably didn't install the bootloader to the mbr and just to the root partition. here is what should be done to install lilo to the mbr (Don't worry, it will see your windows and post it as an option to boot):

    Boot with the Knoppix CD. I use cheatcodes
    Code:
    knoppix 2 vga=normal
    but you can boot up however you see if. Gain root access

    Code:
    su -

    Mount the Knoppix HD install partition (I will assume it is /dev/hda3, you have to insert the correct partition #)

    Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3

    Run lilo with the following extensions to put lilo back into the MBR as you bootloader.
    Code:
    lilo -v -C /mnt/hda3/etc/lilo.conf -r /mnt/hda3

    If that was successful, unmount the Knoppix HD partition
    Code:
    umount /mnt/hda3

    Then reboot the PC from the KDE menu or use the command:
    Code:
    init 6

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11
    I actually used MBR as bootloader.

    I tried to mount the partition(hda6 for me) and it says it's already mounted...then I unmount and mount it again and tries the lilo-command which says there's no such file and I havn't spelled wrong anywhere. Also there is a lilo.conf-file where it point to...it's very strange...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    adding a bit to rrfish72 procedure.
    After you mount your hda6 partition, you need to chroot it.
    Do this as root:

    mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6
    chroot /mnt/hda6
    /sbin/lilo -v


  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima
    I actually used MBR as bootloader.
    What does this mean? MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's the space on the very beginning of the drive (first sector of first track) that holds whatever software boots the hard disk (in many cases it holds a very simple boot loader that loads a more advanced loader, as 1 sector isn't large enough to hold much code). So what does it mean to you to say you used MBR?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima
    I actually used MBR as bootloader.
    What does this mean? MBR stands for Master Boot Record. It's the space on the very beginning of the drive (first sector of first track) that holds whatever software boots the hard disk (in many cases it holds a very simple boot loader that loads a more advanced loader, as 1 sector isn't large enough to hold much code). So what does it mean to you to say you used MBR?
    Sorry, I'm not from a english speaking country like you
    What I was trying to say is that I selected "MBR" in the installation-settings, and not the partition thing..


    I tried what you sayd shah, but it still just boots into Windows like before.
    When using the last lilo-command, should it say something special in the settings that maybe it dosn't?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11
    I maybe know what's the problem...
    I tried using the debian-option in the installation-settings and before the installation was completed there poped up som text in the background that say something about that there was only read-only...thought it was something about the drives so I tested creating a file on a drive, but I didn't have permission to do that...

    Is this the problem, and how do I get permission to write to drives??

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11
    anyone who can help the newbie I am??
    Really wanna use knoppix from the harddrive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knx-hdinstall??
    By Stackout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:13 AM
  2. knx-hdinstall
    By ivansv in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
  3. Knx-hdinstall
    By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
  4. 2.1gb enough for hdinstall?
    By thadk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 04:25 AM
  5. New knx-hdinstall
    By Incubii in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY picture

lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY

$89.00



Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 memory kit, 2x16GB picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 memory kit, 2x16GB

$329.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00