Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Install Boot Floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6

    Install Boot Floppy

    I would like to do a Knoppix hard drive install on a 486. The bios does not support CDrom boot. After reading this forum for awhile I have come to the conclusion that 3.7 can not do this job because an intall boot floppy can not be made from it. I get the idea that it might be possible using a "poor man"s install" but frankly I'm not proficient enough with Linux to pull it off.
    I also have Knoppix 3.3 (11-19-03) and I believe an install boot floppy can be made from it but I have never been able to do. Can someone please point me to a tutorial on how to make the install boot floppy from 3.3.
    Thanks, vic

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Don't fool with a Linux boot floppy. Get Smart Boot Manager and use that to boot the CD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6

    Install Boot Floppy

    Thank you very much. I reached that same conclusion when I went to bed last night but forgot about it!!! LOL
    Now having followed your link there, which of the versions do I need?
    And thanks again!!! Vic

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Install Boot Floppy

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic
    Now having followed your link there, which of the versions do I need?
    Well, what I can tell you is that I needed the PC version. Downloaded it and made a boot floppy. Also installed it on a PC I use as a testbed (really just to see how it worked when you replace the MBR with it; I'll likely replace it with XOSL in the long run). But since it's a stand alone program that runs independent of the OS you use, which you download depends on you. If you're a hard core Linux user than you could download the version that is compressed for Linux (tarball or whatever) rather than the zip. I used what was easy for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot floppy not created during HD install - not /dev/fd0.
    By bigrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 08:51 AM
  2. HD install boot floppy
    By adventurepants in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 09:06 AM
  3. How Do I make a Boot Floppy from HD install?
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
  4. HDD install-bzImage too big for boot-floppy
    By ozfrog in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 01:00 AM
  5. My computer wont boot from cd, help me install with a floppy
    By xenocypraz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



SAMSUNG  Smart Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Trio 500 Multi Pairing picture

SAMSUNG Smart Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Trio 500 Multi Pairing

$40.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ] picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ]

$75.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77