Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: regenerating ld.so.cache & modules.dep

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    regenerating ld.so.cache & modules.dep

    Knoppix autoconfig regenerated these each boot on a Knoppix style HD install. Is this necessary? I have edit knoppix-autoconfig so that it doesn't do this, seems to be working OK. (No emoticon for fingers crossed!)
    Should I expect this to cause problems?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Doesn't a "Knoppix-style install" regenerate everything when you restart it, just like Knoppix does when running off the CD with a persistent home? Including zapping any root/user passwords you may have set the last time around, regenerating /etc/fstab, and so on?

    There was an in-depth doc about how "Knoppix-style," "Beginner-style," and "Debian-style" installs differed that seems to be unavailable since the Documentation section is still down. But a "Debian-style" install seems to be the way to go if you want your configuration to "stick" from session to session (although you can probably load your saved configuration into a "Knoppix-style" install by passing a "cheatcode" as a kernel parameter in your bootloader).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    In theory a Knoppix style regenerates everything but actually not, passwords stay, fstab is normally regenerated but you can override this by including the nofstab cheatcode in the lilo append= line. xf86config-4 only overwrites if an existing one is not found so it stays as is. However, since you are on HD the old configs are still there until they are overwritten by the startup script so it shouldn't be necessary to overwite everything, hdware setup is still the same, etc. so I have eliminated regenerating ld.so.cache & modules.dep to speed up startup.

    A debian style install might have been a better choice but I did the Knoppix style because I wanted to make a remaster from it. You can make a remaster from an operating knoppix style system instead of fiddling about with chrooting into a special system, I wrote a how-to...

    Now this system have been running for some time, it has been extensively customized, I don't want to reinstall, so I'm just tweaking a bit.
    I usually tweak 'til it's broken, just wondering if it's going to break sooner or later.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    In theory a Knoppix style regenerates everything but actually not, passwords stay, fstab is normally regenerated but you can override this by including the nofstab cheatcode in the lilo append= line. xf86config-4 only overwrites if an existing one is not found so it stays as is. However, since you are on HD the old configs are still there until they are overwritten by the startup script so it shouldn't be necessary to overwite everything, hdware setup is still the same, etc. so I have eliminated regenerating ld.so.cache & modules.dep to speed up startup.

    A debian style install might have been a better choice but I did the Knoppix style because I wanted to make a remaster from it. You can make a remaster from an operating knoppix style system instead of fiddling about with chrooting into a special system, I wrote a how-to...

    Now this system have been running for some time, it has been extensively customized, I don't want to reinstall, so I'm just tweaking a bit.
    I usually tweak 'til it's broken, just wondering if it's going to break sooner or later.
    Hi!

    I'm also working with a Knoppix style HD installation, but in my case it wasn't really an intentional choice (as vs. the other options). It's just that this is the first time it actually resulted in a working OS on HD; i.e., other, previous installation attempts using "Beginner" & "Debian-like" flopped. I definitely resemble that remark, re. tweaking till it breaks, except my such experiences in the past were with Windows systems (I'm still a bit of a newbie, in Linux). Reading your post here, I wondered:

    1) What exactly did you do in knoppix-autoconfig, to disable the regeneration routine?
    2) Have you seen any detrimental side effects yet?
    3) After tweaking knoppix-autoconfig to disable the regeneration routine, was it still necessary to use the "nofstab" param during boot-up to avoid over-writing the fstab?

Similar Threads

  1. Skip regenerate ld.so.cache and modules.dep by cheat code
    By onemyndseye in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
  2. Using cache partition with PMI and LiveCD
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 04:00 PM
  3. Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/extra/modules.dep
    By wicking in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 07:50 PM
  4. Modules.conf more recent the modules.dep
    By Ambrose in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 05:01 PM
  5. Konquorer Cache
    By OldFNG in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module picture

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module

$649.99



CISCO ISR4331/K9 V04 Integrated Services Router -Sealed Box picture

CISCO ISR4331/K9 V04 Integrated Services Router -Sealed Box

$332.49