Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: New Nvidia drivers released

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    New Nvidia drivers released

    For all of you that use Nvidia based cards there is a new driver release (march 31) available on their website here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Nice, an automated installer

    But don't forget to "export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95", else compilation will fail on a stock Knoppix kernel.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    FINALY! Now if only more hrdware manufacturers would take the lead from Nvidia and realease automatic installers. Heck, we might even see self installing software some day! Frightening......

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    FINALY! Now if only more hrdware manufacturers would take the lead from Nvidia and realease automatic installers. Heck, we might even see self installing software some day! Frightening......
    I know I know, I was icky too about running a program released just before April Fools as root. I guess they got fed up by all the n00b questions.

    And indeed they should really release the normal "source" version too. It's downloaded by the installer anyways and it doesn't even parse the 'make' output. You were directed to look at some error log, a little output screen would have been nice. Can't think of a normal Linux systemd at doesn't have a pager like 'more' installed...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I'm all for releaseing source versions, I'm even okay if they get realeased first. But, there's a lot of applications where I couldn't care less about the source code. Nvidia drivers are one of them. And it's nice to see them realeaeing a dummy installer

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Anyone used this sucessfully to install the drivers? Work well? Any tips?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    They work great, just done forget to use the export gcc command above.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Yes and no, at least for me, there was more to it than that. after you edit the XF86Config-4 there's two othere files that need editing, at elast they did fo me. If you search here for nvidia, you'll find a thread with instructions for installing the last set of drivers (manual install) and it lists two files that need a line with a new alias. I found I still had to do that with these, but they work great and I seems to get more proformance out of my GeForce2 now.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    Yes and no, at least for me, there was more to it than that. after you edit the XF86Config-4 there's two othere files that need editing, at elast they did fo me. If you search here for nvidia, you'll find a thread with instructions for installing the last set of drivers (manual install) and it lists two files that need a line with a new alias. I found I still had to do that with these, but they work great and I seems to get more proformance out of my GeForce2 now.
    Ok, this makes sense. I installed the new drivers but they were't being utilized. I edited XF86Config-4 the way that Nvidia prescribes and that resulted in X failing to start. I'll look for the other post later. If anyone knows all the things that need to be done to get this to work, it would make a nice howto for the Docs section.


    Since I don't have access to the Nvidia computer I was working on now, i'll try and post back later.

    Adam

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Try this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=960

    You will skip the "unpacking" section and instead of following the directions for instalation, just run the executables you downloaded. Then it's just a matter of following the directions in the last section for editing configuration files instead of following nVidia's directions.

    I am assuming this is nessicary because of the odd-ball kernel that knoppix uses, but it worked great for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. nvidia drivers problem
    By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 07:18 PM
  2. Help with 2.6.6 and Nvidia Drivers
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
  3. Nvidia drivers i tried all.......
    By Malo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
  4. NVIDIA drivers....
    By slc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
  5. nvidia drivers
    By evilgeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



Intel Core i7-13700 16-Core 2.10GHz LGA1700 CPU Processor SRMBA picture

Intel Core i7-13700 16-Core 2.10GHz LGA1700 CPU Processor SRMBA

$235.00



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$79.99



Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2 picture

Intel Core i7-6700 Processor (3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, LGA 1151) - SR2L2

$34.99



Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF picture

Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 4th Gen 4 Cores 8 Threads Desktop CPU SR1QF

$39.95



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00