I must admit, i find your argument a bit lacking
there tmp000.

In that, i haven't actually found a site, that engages
in public postings, not to be arranged along
thread lines really. I mean, a thread is just
a line of discussion within a topic heading. So, all
discussions become threads, by definition.

I don't do chat, and haven't had much to do with
open wikies, so i can't say much there. But then,
they do have different purposes in themselves, so a
direct comparison there really doesn't mean much.

I have had a fair bit to do with "groups" though.
*.os.* sites as such, they have always been
threaded.

Where do you get the idea of being "forced" to use
a certain name. Quite a lot of people will use
their own name, especially in mailing lists,
all registered. In my case, "jjmac" is actually,
almost, my initials. I would have used "jmac" but
it was already in use when i originally
submitted it. So iv'e just used the same. And as has
been mentioned, some people like to set things up
so as to be informed on responses.

I do find "spam" to be a worry though, when it
comes to submitting email as part of a registration
process. But not with regards to places such as
this, and other Linux sites for that matter. I
do when it comes to commercial sites though, like
"news-papers", "TV stations" and the like.

1996 !!!, worn out web masters !!!

good grief , i can hear the bones creaking now.

I think, as time goes on, the great expanse will
but shrink into the grain of sand, it really is.

This reminds me of funny poster on another
<cough> forum </cough> where the poster was trying
to figure out why people took alarm to people posting
totally in uppercase.

I probably shouldn't mention that one.

My basic motive generally, just out of interest, is
often a curiosity about the poster, rather
than the context. I tend to get curious about why
a person should have a particular idea, rather than
the idea it self. So i guess i'm a bit of a sucker
for trivia like this. Can't think of anything more
to add really.

tmp000, Could you post a couple of links to these
"non-threaded" boards you mention,not wikies
I would be interested to have a squize.


jm

(edited)