Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
As for the "post count" issue that was raised, being over one thousand, myself, I dont belittle anyone with a lesser count than mine. I have helped people with only ONE post, the one they are posting with an issue with. I dont demean, belittle, or give any negative attituide to the fact they have less posts than me, it doesnt change the fact they are having a problem, and if I can, if I know an answer, or resolve, I will assist, period. I treat people with the SAME respect that I expect in return. I account for any frustrations they may be having, and simply want to help... So, tmp000, you have posted five times, at the time of my posting, I dont care, good or bad, its not the quantity, but the quality, its not the topic, but the attituide... As an old saying goes: you'll get more flies with sugar than vinegar.
Insofar as I am the "guilty party" on that comment, allow me to clarify. I seriously doubt that you or anyone else will find a post of mine where I set out to "demean" or "belittle" anyone based on post count. To the contrary, oftentimes people with a low post count are idiots like me who don't catch on to the concept the first time, and have to keep reposting to learn how to do something that other people don't have problems with (e.g., how many posts did I make trying to figure out how to boot from NTFS??). Correlatively, Klaus Knopper, has five posts on a site dedicated to his invention, and I don't think that anyone here would suggest that he is in any way incompetent w/r/t his own invention.

Sorry if it got taken the wrong way, but the only reason I brought up post count was to point out that someone with six posts likely doesn't have a particularly "insightful" understanding of this forum. I can already tell from tmp000's comments in the Klik thread that he knows a lot about computing and *nix (a damn sight more than me, I'll wager!!). But, I'm sorry, Cuddles, low post count DOES correlate with the level of participation here, and without intending this to sound judgmental of anyone as a person, my thought is that someone so lacking in evidence of participation in our forum as to only have six posts has no business whatsoever coming in and criticizing the site and individuals in it, as if he has a throrough understanding of what this place is about. If someone wants to help, fine. But if they just want to criticize and make nasty comments, then they need to pay their dues and support the community before they start criticising the community and the individuals in it. Maybe he knows more than anyone else here about what other sites do, but the post count is pretty convincing evidence that he hasn't participated here long enough to have a valid opinion about what this community is like. Post count is relevant to participation, and participation was relevant to my point. When I've raised the issue of post count before, it was in the context of participation, ONLY, and only when relevant to a particular point. If anyone can find a comment of mine that contradicts this statement, feel free to let me know, and I'll eat my words publicly. As for my willingness to help people with low post counts, I think you'll find that most of the people I try to help ARE newbies with lower post counts (partly because I'm not terribly competent to help more advanced users ). I don't think that I owe anyone an apology for my willingness to help new users - in fact, I think that more often than not, I'm the person sticking up for the noobs, while others dish out "RTFM" attitude.

Anyway, forgive my post, but I felt the need to clarify. I apologize if my prior post was misunderstood.

jd