Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: nt bootloader with image from dd?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20

    nt bootloader with image from dd?

    Okay, so when I did the hdd install for Knoppix 3.7 (Debian-style), I told it to write the bootloader to /root instead of /mbr because I was scared of screwing up my MBR and messing up my windows bootloader. I know from previous installers that you can use the dd command to write the bootloader to an image file (dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/floppy/bootimage.img bs=512 count=1) and then copy that image to the nt drive and add the line C:\bootimage.img="Linux" to boot.ini .. I did all this for a previous redhat install and it worked fine, but things aren't going well for knoppix/debian. I know the problem isn't with the image, because I was able to use dd to write the image to the boot sector of another floppy, and it worked as a bootdisk (I booted with it just now, and am using it). Has anybody dealt with this? Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    When running
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/floppy/bootimage.img bs=512 count=1
    ,
    you need to make sure the if= statement points to the correct partition holding the boot image.
    According to your other post, it was /dev/hda8, iirc.
    Change the command to:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda8 of=/mnt/floppy/bootimage1.img bs=512 count=1
    You can copy that to your NTFS partition from the floppy once booted to windows and add it to your boot.ini.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Are you sure I typed 'hda8' in the other post? It's definitely hda1. On my system, hda1 = 13gb linux, hda2 = 2gb linux swap, hda3 = 15gb ntfs (XP system files) and hdb1 = 80gb ntfs (data).

    I know that the image I extracted with DD is good, because when I use dd to write the image to the boot sector of a floppy, it then functions as a boot disk. The problem is somewhere with the ntfs bootloader and the image, I believe..

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    Forget this technique altogether, instead look at this thread on using grub with ntfs/fat and the windows boot loader. It's easier and more flexible.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Forget this technique altogether, instead look at this thread on using grub with ntfs/fat and the windows boot loader. It's easier and more flexible.
    Interesting link, bfree, but it looks like that stuff's dealing with booting knoppix from an ISO image of the CD, on an NTFS filesystem. I've got a seperate ext3 filesystem for linux system files, with Knoppix installed Debian-style. Will this still work for me..?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Alterscape
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Forget this technique altogether, instead look at this thread on using grub with ntfs/fat and the windows boot loader. It's easier and more flexible.
    Interesting link, bfree, but it looks like that stuff's dealing with booting knoppix from an ISO image of the CD, on an NTFS filesystem. I've got a seperate ext3 filesystem for linux system files, with Knoppix installed Debian-style. Will this still work for me..?
    YES!

    The thread may be about booting an iso image, but the technique it describes involves installing a copy of grub in your windows boot menu, you can then config grub to boot whatever you want Just follow normal grub setup instructions!

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Cool, cool.. thanks much for the link! I'll give it a shot.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    6
    hiya all,
    need help here. what if i still wanna use this ntloader to boot my knoppix3.7.
    can all the solution above do it?
    it's just that i don't wanna get into any trouble if the bootdisk fails.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    Okay, so I downloaded Giles' most recent grubd.zip, and it looks useful. I don't know how to set up menu.lst to boot my Debian-style Knoppix install. Here's what's going on..

    hda1: ext3 knoppix 3.7 linux partition
    hda2: linux swap
    hda3: NTFS WinXP system
    hdb1: NTFS data

    I presume I need a line in grub's menu.lst to the tune of

    Code:
    title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 from ext3 hda1
            kernel (hd0,0)/something/ 
            initrd (hd0,0)/somethingelse/
    but I don't know what should take the place of the 'something.'

Similar Threads

  1. About bootloader
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 04:34 AM
  2. bootloader
    By bluenose50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 10:15 PM
  3. bootloader timeout
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2004, 05:25 PM
  4. no BootLoader with knoppix 3.4
    By mschievano in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 06:34 PM
  5. Bootloader and ATA-Raid
    By RealNeo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96



IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone picture

IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone

$114.99