Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Can't boot from CD.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12

    Can't boot from CD.

    I have downloaded Knoppix and the CD has been burnt sucessfully. I cannot however boot from the CD, I have the latest BIOS for my machine but this will not allow me to boot from a CD. I have heard of a floppy disk that will tell the computer to boot from CD (or something like that). Does anyone know how to create one of these?

    Any help would be greatly appriciated. I'm running the latest version by the way.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26
    did you set the bios to boot from cd? try that..

    and then if it fails..create bootdisk by using rawrite prog on knoppix CD.....didnt you read FAQ??

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    One application that will do this for you is Smart Boot Manager.

    Another boot manager that I like very much is XOSL. XOSL is somewhat more complex and a bit more complicated to set up (but not hard if you can read and follow instructions), but it has a lot of features that SBM lacks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    I can't set the BIOS to boot from CD it doesn't support it. And I can't find the rawrite program on the CD. Where is it? I looked where it told me to look.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26
    it's in a archive called grubboot.zip..i cant remember where i got it..hunt thru the iso image or check the download section..

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by abre
    .... And I can't find the rawrite program on the CD. Where is it? I looked .....
    Why fool with rawrite and make a boot floppy that can only boot one thing, when you can use Smart Boot Manager and make a floppy that will boot any bootable CD? You can even install it to the MBR of your hard drive and not have to fool with a floppy at all, giving any old PC the ability to boot from CD.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    How do I use the rawrite program?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26
    yeah kudos to you and your smart boot manager harry...but your last post sounds like "NO dont use anything else but smart boot! do it do it now!!! all other options is crappeh i have decided that you must use this and this only!"

    you sound kinda insistant.....let abre post back and then go from there...

    no offense or anything....

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12
    I only want to be able to run Knoppix, but I'm a very graphicl guy. Just learning Linux, so I really want the easiest way to do it.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26
    well did you find grubboot.zip??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00