In windows xp device manager ,select view/show hidden devices, then uninstall the sound devices (all).
Then restart XP Pro, when the new hardware is discovered cancel. install the sound drivers from the ASUS disc instead.
I am troubleshooting a noisy Windows XP driver on an integrated sound chip on an ASUS A7VX-X motherboard. I have successfully loaded Knoppix 3.7 and it picked up the sound info but no sound plays. I know nothing about Linux but was hoping this CD based OS would help trouble shoot further a rather noisy sound (occurs turned up and whenever there is any hard disk activity, mouse movement, etc) under Windows XP Pro SP2.
Can someone help me test further?
thanks
In windows xp device manager ,select view/show hidden devices, then uninstall the sound devices (all).
Then restart XP Pro, when the new hardware is discovered cancel. install the sound drivers from the ASUS disc instead.
it's not in XP that I'm having a problem "identifying" the sound card. I want Knoppix to see it. I understand there's a particualr issue with Knoppix and this motherboard/soundchip (ASUS A7V8-X)

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99
Dell Precision 3561 8 Core i7 11th 16GB 512SSD NVIDIA Quadro T1200 W11 Grade A-
$473.87