Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: NTFS Install Steps?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8

    NTFS Install Steps?

    Hello,

    I am considering installing Knoppix(2.6 Kernel)on my ancient Compaq Presario laptop (160 MB RAM, 400 MHz) and setting it up as a dual boot along with Win XP Pro. I have a 20 gig hard disk (no partitions) and it has around 9.5 gigs free on it. The HD uses the NTFS system. I was wondering if anyone could provide a step by step as to how to install Knoppix to a NTFS drive without data loss, how to partition and finally how to set it up so that there is a dual boot option at startup. I am pretty new to all this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    You cant install it on an NTFS partition, create a new one with QParted and make it either ext2 or ext3, then follow the install guides provided on this site.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    20
    I think his question was, "can I resize NTFS partitions with QParted without losing data?" AFAIK, the answer is no -- Parted doesn't support NTFS resizing. I know a product called PartitionMagic can, but it is payware.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ntfs resize is incorporated into qtparted as far as i know. it can move the end of a partition only (atleast larst i heard) but...
    and best to defrag tha partition a few times just to be sure.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    Ok, I'm getting conflicting responses here. Is it safe to use QParted with a 20 GB NTFS HD with the current version of Knoppix to create the the 2 partitions needed (Knoppix+Swap) for a full HD install?

    That aside, the dual boot, will I be prompted to set that up within the Knoppix installer, if not, how do i go about accessing it?

    A

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    The drive isnt NTFS, one of your partitions is. If you have enough room you can create more than one partition, but you might need to resize the NTFS one like the other people said. If you have more than 384mb of ram, I would say that it is possible to do without the swap partition.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    I just went ahead and ran the install program, everything went well, partitioned, Lilo worked and everthing.

    Then when I try and boot into Kernel 2.6, I get the following error

    "Process 'update' used obselete bd flush system call" Fix your intscript?

    I say yes and the OS continues with its routine, autodetecting devices and such

    Then when KDE starts to load I get the following error message

    "Writing to the temp directory (/tmp) failed with the error "Permission denied"

    "KDE unable to start."

    Then this error

    "Couldn't stat ksmserver"

    And then finally it says I do not have enough memory to start KDE, 82 required and gives me a shell window.

    I have 156 MB Ram, how is this possible? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

    EDIT: Also have a 350MB Swap Partition

    Thanks,

    A

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8
    seems like a fixable problem? anyone have a solution or heard of something similar?

    If not, would a reinstall work perhaps? And if so, do I need to uninstall first or can I just install over the original install?

    A

Similar Threads

  1. First steps reformat
    By Linunix in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 01:17 PM
  2. What steps to take after boot fails?
    By adamherb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
  3. Combing Steps
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
  4. First steps away from the Bugger
    By Spinned Noob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 04:41 AM
  5. Security. First Steps.
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Vtg 128 / 64 Commodore 1541-II Computer Disk Drive in Box 5.25 Floppy (Working) picture

Vtg 128 / 64 Commodore 1541-II Computer Disk Drive in Box 5.25 Floppy (Working)

$89.99



Commodore 64 disk drive - enhancer 2000 & 30 disks picture

Commodore 64 disk drive - enhancer 2000 & 30 disks

$110.00



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 128 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 128 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99