Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New Laptop, need some help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    6

    New Laptop, need some help

    I just got a new laptop yesterday (Christmas) and I put Debian on it. It is a Compaq Evo N620c, brand new off of eBay. I want to get the 3D OpenGL acceleration going. It has a Radeon 7500 graphics card. I want to use the DRI OpenGL driver if possible.

    Also, the Laptop Batter control center module says:

    "Your computer seems to have a partial ACPI installation. ACPI was probably enabled, but some of the sub-options were not - you need to enable at least 'AC Adaptor' and 'Control Method Battery' and then rebuild your kernel."

    And the laptop battery monitor isn't showing up in the system tray. How do I fix it?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    6
    Also, how can I get the dial up modem working? KPPP says it can't open /dev/modem/

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Sorry, can't help with the video accel card. but

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfCub
    Also, how can I get the dial up modem working? KPPP says it can't open /dev/modem/
    Modem is undoubtably a winmodem. See this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15619

    If you are totally unable to get ltmodem to work in Knoppix, ltmodem is pre-installed on kanotix so I would suggest a switch.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    6
    OK, I called up HP support. The guy knew what he was talking about and surprised me. The modem is an Agere Systems AC97, the wireless bluetooth is a HP w200 and it uses a Compaq Multiport for the wireless stuff. I got the DRI 3D drivers partially installed. I'm using kernel 2.6.10-1 out of unstable. This the section of the readme I'm following:

    "cd /usr/src
    tar -xzf drm-trunk.tar.gz
    cd kernel-source-2.6.9
    cp /boot/config-2.6.9-1-k7 ./.config
    make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-k7 modules_image
    dpkg -i ../drm-trunk-module-2.6.9-1-k7_<dri-trunk-sid version>_i386.deb"


    So I ran:

    cd /usr/src
    tar -xzf drm-trunk.tar.gz
    cd kernel-source-2.6.10
    cp /boot/config-2.6.10-1-386 ./.config
    make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-k7 modules_image
    dpkg -i ../drm-trunk-module-2.6.10-1-386_<dri-trunk-sid version>_i386.deb

    What am I doing wrong and how do I get the rest of my hardware going as well. X11 is the priority so lets fix it first though.

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Laptop to Laptop
    By twistyblue in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
  2. Laptop is getting very, very hot
    By matbehns in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:34 PM
  3. Thanks!! (about laptop)
    By objectconstant in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:13 AM
  4. laptop
    By oneeyedelf1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
  5. New Laptop
    By drlizau in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 980 500GB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD MZ-V8V500 - Tested Working. picture

Samsung 980 500GB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD MZ-V8V500 - Tested Working.

$50.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$125.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$189.99