-
Help with USB dd
I would appreciate any help that you guys could give. I've been trying to 'dd' an image onto a usb drive from a booted machine running knoppix 3.7... and I'm hitting an arbitrary limit to the file size that I can transmit. If I transmit over say a 43MB file, it doesn't appear to transfer. The machine sees the USB drive and I've successfully copied the smaller files, but I'm trying to copy the entire filesystem.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
-r204d
-
Senior Member
registered user
Question: Why did it say "out of disk space" when copying to the flash drive, even though the size of the files to be copied is less than the free space on the drive?
Answer: Some flash drives are formatted with the FAT12 or FAT16 filesystem. This is inefficient. If there are a lot of small files, the flash drive may fill up much more quickly that you might expect. There are two ways round the problem:
The first way is to archive the files onto the flash drive. To archive means to create one big file instead of lots of small ones. To create an archive, click K menu, Utilities, Ark (Archiving Tool). The second way is to reformat the drive to a more efficient filesystem, such as FAT32.
Ref.
http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/...in/index9.html
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mark
-
Mark,
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate any help. I should have provided more details. The USB harddrive that I'm sending the files to is 160 GB. The filesystem on it is Win FAT32. What I'm trying to do is dd an entire filesystem from a 10 GB harddrive. I thought maybe it had to do with my setup. Knoppix seems to plug and play the USB interface, but in scanning throughout the forum it seemed like most people were booting Knoppix first, and then editing the FSTAB file and then issuing a mount command. The mount setup is the only thing which felt was in question to me, but then I'm also new to Knoppix. Regardless I got to a threshold where when I could only successfully dd a file that was less then 43/44 MB. I literally had the successful and unsuccessful commands side by side.
-
Senior Member
registered user
why use dd?
Code:
cp -afx /mnt/hdXY/filename /mnt/usbdisk/directory/
or even
Code:
cp -afx /mnt/hdXY/directory/* /mnt/usbdisk/directory/
will work, first wil copy one file at a time. second everything in directory (and files below...)
a few limits are:
not files over 3.95Gb
that NO permisions... are needed, fat can't handle those, if they are needed use tar. to make one file (somewhat like an uncompresed zip).
if you are trying to MAKE a image file larger than 43Mb on that disc i have no idea what the trouble is. i use a usbdisk regularly with 700+M files (knoppix, Slackware, Debian... iso's).
the disk is 120Gb, and yes it is fat32.
what does say? or
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00