Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Yet another can't boot from CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Quincy, IL 62301, USA
    Posts
    3

    Yet another can't boot from CD

    I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.

    I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.

    Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?

    See, now that wasn't too bad, and I'll be eternally grateful for a nudge in the right direction.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Did you select the verify written data, could just be a bad burn. Useing a slower speed helps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    And did you select "Tools > CD > Burn CD Image..." from within K3b?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Quincy, IL 62301, USA
    Posts
    3
    Didn't verify, so I will try again and at a lower speed. I just hit the 'burn' button, but I'll also try doing it from the 'Tools' menu. Thanks for the ideas, guys. I assume from your replies that burning the iso should result in a bootable CD.

    Dave

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Re: Yet another can't boot from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by dayers7
    I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.

    I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.

    Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?
    Ive got the exact same problem dayer7s, it just doesnt seem to boot. Tried changing the boot sequence through the BIOS, that didnt work. I dl'ed the Smart Boot Manager .exe, and put in onto a floppy, and when I restarted I got a Non-System Disk error.

    What is 'checking the md5sum'?

    Yes, I am a total n00b.


  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Yet another can't boot from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix
    What is 'checking the md5sum'?
    It is a way of making sure the ISO image that you downloaded is not corrupt. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...O_CD_images.3F

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Underscore

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    6
    I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.

    I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by balak
    I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.

    I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Quincy, IL 62301, USA
    Posts
    3
    I finally got a bootable CD of Knoppix v-3.7. I followed the suggestion of starting the burn from the K3b 'tools' menu and slowing the speed from 4X to 2X. I had it verify the burn. For the record,

    Tools/CD/Data CD burn
    Speed = 2X (not auto)
    Verify
    command: cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=2 -tao -overburn -data ~/KNOPPIX ... EN.iso

    I'm running SUSE 9.1 and using an Iomega ZipCD 4x650.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm guessing that slowing it down did the trick. It was good to hear that bugle!

    Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE Edgeline e920 Server Blade picture

HPE Edgeline e920 Server Blade

$350.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40



Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i picture

Supermicro 4U 32x 3.5 Bays 4-Nodes | 8x E5-2660 v3 2.6Ghz | 64gb RAM | 9207-8i

$699.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99