-
Yet another can't boot from CD
I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.
I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.
Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?
See, now that wasn't too bad, and I'll be eternally grateful for a nudge in the right direction.
Dave
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you select the verify written data, could just be a bad burn. Useing a slower speed helps.
-
Senior Member
registered user
And did you select "Tools > CD > Burn CD Image..." from within K3b?
-
Didn't verify, so I will try again and at a lower speed. I just hit the 'burn' button, but I'll also try doing it from the 'Tools' menu. Thanks for the ideas, guys. I assume from your replies that burning the iso should result in a bootable CD.
Dave
-
Re: Yet another can't boot from CD

Originally Posted by
dayers7
I know, I know - read the FAQ. But the Documentation server seems to be down, and I'm impatient. Bear with me, please.
I am a SUSE 9.1 user. I downloaded the K3.7 iso, checked the md5sum and burned the iso to a fresh CD using K3b, successfully. But the CD won't boot. I have a store bought Knoppix 3.3 CD that boots with no problem.
Should simply burning the iso onto a CD result in a bootable CD? If not, what is the missing link?
Ive got the exact same problem dayer7s, it just doesnt seem to boot. Tried changing the boot sequence through the BIOS, that didnt work. I dl'ed the Smart Boot Manager .exe, and put in onto a floppy, and when I restarted I got a Non-System Disk error.
What is 'checking the md5sum'?
Yes, I am a total n00b.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Yet another can't boot from CD

Originally Posted by
Weetabix
What is 'checking the md5sum'?
It is a way of making sure the ISO image that you downloaded is not corrupt. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...O_CD_images.3F
-
Thanks Underscore
-
I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.
I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
balak
I have the exact same problem and posted this under MS Windows support on the forum.
I burnt the 3.6 ISO onto a CD and changed the boot sequence. But Knoppix just wont fire up. The MD5 check indicated that all was good. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ
-
I finally got a bootable CD of Knoppix v-3.7. I followed the suggestion of starting the burn from the K3b 'tools' menu and slowing the speed from 4X to 2X. I had it verify the burn. For the record,
Tools/CD/Data CD burn
Speed = 2X (not auto)
Verify
command: cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=2 -tao -overburn -data ~/KNOPPIX ... EN.iso
I'm running SUSE 9.1 and using an Iomega ZipCD 4x650.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm guessing that slowing it down did the trick. It was good to hear that bugle!
Dave
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$119.00

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks SRX340 16x1GbE Ports Service Gateway Security Appliance W/ Ears
$79.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter
$59.99

Juniper AP64 High Performance Multi Gigabit Outdoor Wireless Access Point, NEW
$249.99

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks
$124.99

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty
$895.00

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE
$59.99

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99